Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Warranty, How the companys live up to what they promise  (Read 7699 times)

Stihl man

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Warranty, How the companys live up to what they promise
« on: February 06, 2009, 04:57:27 PM »

I think that their should be a tab for warranty Info on how the company preforms on their end, for different problems that may arise. Like leaks How they fixed it ? did that person have to send their furnace back to the company or did they send someone over to fix it, How much it cost, time frame to fix ect, ect.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Warranty, How the companys live up to what they promise
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 05:18:30 PM »

that might make for some good reading
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Tiny Tim

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:50:49 AM »

I have a Hawken HE-1100, After about two weeks I went out to fill it up and heard a noise comeing from the blower motor ,It only lasted a few minutes but i was concerened so I called up the dealer i bought it from and told him about the noise. He told me that he would be by in the evening to check it out, When he came by the motor was not makeing the noise and was acting like it should be. I thought he was going to tell me to just keep an eye on it but the next thing i knew he was removeing the motor and replaceing it. I said dont you even want to hear the noise before you do that and he said that he called hawken and they told him to replace it no questions asked, and the best part was ther was no out of pocket expense for me. So as far as the warrenty hawken really pulled thru for me, I recommend Hawken to anybody that wants a company to stand behind their product.

Tim

rross

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »

Do not count on Woodmaster after 5 years.  Your repairs are prorated. 
They could care less!!!!

MyLeakyWoodDoctor

• MyIcyLeggedWoodDoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 06:37:59 AM »

I have been all over this Warranty issue on this site with regards to my Leaky Wood Doctor and so I agree with this post!

I would also like to state that Wood Doctor did in the end send me a welder to fix my boiler and I believe that open discussion about my warranty issues may well have helped in this regard!

Please see my Welding post,

Leaky  :photo:

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »

that would be a great idea, but good luck with that, i made them give me a list of at least 5 people who put them in at least 2 to 3 years ago. but the best place for real info is right here.
Newrichmond, Ohio

rtimber

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »

I would like to address the comment  pro-rated warranties.   I firmly believe that if any new OWB owner is going to have problems with workmanship and materials, it will be evident the first year or maybe the 2nd...     There are so many OWB owners that do NOT do ANY maintenance on their units....   do not use boiler treatment, do not clean ashes out of the firebox at shutdown, burn tires and railroad ties, ashes not maintained properly, etc.    I have even seen some that do NOT put a cap over the chimney during the summer when they are NOT burning...WET ASHES ARE HIGHLY ACIDIC AND WILL EAT STEEL.   If an owner complains about warranty after 5 years on any problem other than electrical, I would like to have the history of the units care....   I have spoken with owners from ALL different companies, and it does NOT matter if it is a 20 or 30.yr warranty..  there are loopholes....    Example of loopholes:   no record of a water sample sent in annually or water wasn't properly adjusted, no record of purchasing boiler treatment annually,  etc etc etc.  Typically, ash corrosion is NOT covered...   I have heard from owners that have found out that the factory does not warranty exactly as the dealer initially explained... 

In my opinion, a basic 1/4 inch mild steel unit that is properly maintained and burning factory approved materials, should last MANY years and a warranty is not an issue.   The key word is "properly maintained".  Yes, blowers, solenoids, elec., may need to be replaced...
Thanks for allowing me to get up on the soap box for a few minutes.   

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 01:20:27 PM »

I don't know of any furnace company that doesn't pro-rate the warranty.  A 5 year 100% warranty is a good warranty anyway.  I could make a long list of things that don't have a warranty as good as that.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

eco-extend

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »

i believe every word that rtimber has listed in his quote .I am a manufacture of wood boilers and he has pointed out evereything that has to be done to mauntain a stove i have seen some come back that are so full of creosote that tells you everything about that person!!! we have had stoves that just came back that are 26 yrs old and want a new one. only reason because it was well taken care of