Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Dreaded task of buying wood from Craigslist  (Read 2994 times)

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
The Dreaded task of buying wood from Craigslist
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »

Hi,

So I have purchased wood from craigslist in the past.  You have guys telling you that they can fit full cord in their S10 pickup.  The most recent guy said he had full extended cab and a 6' trailer and he could haul me 4 full cord in one load.  I have made it clear in our chat I'm talking full cord.  Either they are idiots, or scamming people.  Last year from reputable guy I had 1.5 cords delivered in 16 foot trailer and the back of his pickup was loaded.  Any suggestions to cut through the bullcrap when in contact with these guys. 

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
Re: The Dreaded task of buying wood from Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »

well if they are stating its a cord.. its gotta measure out to be 4x4x8..A S10 stacked isn't a cord of wood. A 8 foot bed stacked inst a cord either..Theres no way to drive it legally.. Only real way of getting a true cord at once is having a  1 ton dump full..I use to sell wood..If the craig lists ad is stated a truck load of wood for sale..Your buying on whatever you get..Theres laws on firewood at least here in NH..If they are selling wood as a cord..Its gotta measure out or close to it...Law is to protect the consumer
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:10:31 PM by MattyNH »
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »

If I stack tight and higher than the sides of my box I can fit about .59 cord in my 6.5' box on my truck never will anyone haul a cord in a pickup it just doesnt fit.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

oaky

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL-2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 03:47:12 PM »

I remember in my younger years back in the 80's, I bought an old 3/4 ton "77 chevy long box pickup for hauling wood. Built the racks as high as the cab, stacked each row (4 rows) level to the racks and cab, left my tailgate down to get the 4th row in & secured the end row with a come along, I believe the pickup had 1 ton axle. Hard as all heck to handle on the road, but I drove this way for many years. I'm pretty certain I got a full cord on it for each trip. But yeah, that guy would need four pickup loads like the one I had, no doubt.
Husqvarna 272
Husqvarna 55
27 Ton Cub Cadet Log Splitter
John Deere 826D Walk-Behind Snowblower
Always A Good Pile Of Oak Firewood
Home is: West Central Wisconsin

Pinehouse4

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34/44
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »

I would talk to people in your area that are buying wood now, if you can find anyone. Only order one full ( bush ) cord, and any subsequent orders will depend on that one. If you do find a reliable seller then stick with him. I would be surprised that a good supplier would be using craiglist to find customers. If you know your trees you could consider locating a logger and get a tandem load, ( without the pup trailer ) that should be around 8/9 full cords. Estimates of those loads vary too, some say 10/12 cords............maybe some others here can advise what they believe a tandem truck holds according to their experience. I judged mine from the resulting pile in my wood shed ( I know its dimensions ) when cut and stacked.

Bob

Stihl 028
Stihl 046
Wallenstien 820 wood processor
JD 6300 4 WD loader, blade, blower, forks,
BL 34/44 working great.

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
craigslist
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 07:06:10 AM »

I have sold tons of wood on craigslist through the years and I don't rip people off.  I can tell though that many guys do because the most popular comment I hear is "wow I never got this much before"  This started back when I was selling 20-40 cords a year and took until February to move it all.  Now I have customers neighbors, friends, family calling me for firewood and sell over 100 cords of wood and I can't really keep up with demand.  I did run my craigslist ad for a few weeks this fall...maybe for nostalgia because I certainly didn't need the business.  You can find reputable sellers there but I understand how many scammers are out there. 

When someone starts asking me what I deliver with, I usually chuckle and say to them "you've been ripped off before haven't you?"