Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Chimney Hieght and more smoke  (Read 4398 times)

browncty

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7400B
    • View Profile
Chimney Hieght and more smoke
« on: February 02, 2015, 09:01:49 AM »

Last year was first year with my stove and had very few issues with neighbors complaining of smoke or smell issue. Yes I'm the one who lives far from city neighbors in a city on edge of town. This fall before startup I added. 3rt section of chimney last year just had the piece coming out of the stove. Last season as my wife stated this morning we burned nasty smokey wood. I'm thinking of taking that section off because it's cooling too much cause more smoke. I'm burning more seasoned wood this year was well. Does anyone think this will resolve problem. My good friend who's owned a OWB for years thinks it will be. You help is appreciated.

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
Re: Chimney Hieght and more smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »

Would adding a barometric damper to the stack (with 3rd section in place) help?
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

browncty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 09:16:50 AM »

Sloppy don't know much about Baro Dampers & am not sure how they work.

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:49:59 AM »

I wouldn't think adding chimney height would be the issue here. What would did you burn last season? Did you do any maintenance on unit over the summer? I added sections to mine to get the exhaust up so wouldn't blow back in my face, no increase in smoke. I am curious as to what you find out.

browncty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »

Tule,

This is second year using stove. Maintenance was limited to installation of 3ft section of chimney and cleaning stove out prior to start up. I whatever I can, last year lots of black locust, poplar, box elder, pine and other species of wood even some oak and Elm. Early in season burned scrap wood from house project and pallet wood.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:56:40 AM by browncty »

browncty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »

Just took off chimney section and its looks like it may have solved the problem. Smoke now goes in every direction. Chimney section was a 3ft creosote stick with 2" of the 8" pipe filled with cresote at the top of pipe.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 07:18:18 PM »

Just took off chimney section and its looks like it may have solved the problem. Smoke now goes in every direction. Chimney section was a 3ft creosote stick with 2" of the 8" pipe filled with cresote at the top of pipe.
Thats the problem I have with my stack..Tip of the stack closes in with creosote..I have to brush my stack like every 3 months to keep the tip open
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

browncty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 07:40:36 PM »

Well I think it's improved but the smokes but it's not going straight up as it did last year. I think I need to clean out the chimney where the pipe was connected as it might have cerasote keeping the the smoke from going straight up. Anyone have any thoughts about smoke going straight up when the blower turns on?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:42:51 PM by browncty »

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »

Well I think it's improved but the smokes but it's not going straight up as it did last year. I think I need to clean out the chimney where the pipe was connected as it might have cerasote keeping the the smoke from going straight up. Anyone have any thoughts about smoke going straight up when the blower turns on?
Ya it does go straight up.. But depending on the weather like a low pressure.. It will go up then come right back down
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

browncty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 08:04:26 PM »

You are correct weather does seem to affect it going straight up.

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 04:26:53 AM »

If you are having that much creosote, your wood is not as seasoned as it should be.

browncty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 06:19:55 AM »

jerkash,

Thank you for your comments on seasoned wood and smoke issue. I realize there are lots of individuals who have opinions based on their experiences related to seasoned and cut and toss into the stove. I have at least 2-4 cord of my firewood is oak that is been dry for 2-3 years, I also have a lots of species of wood that is also 2-3 years dry. I do have a mix of cut last year of pine and other species of wood. I also realize that not all people have time or money to have two-three years cut firewood. I don't purchase any of my firewood or even have to cut it most of the time, people cut a try down, cut it so they can handle it and want it gone, so I acquire because they live in the City. I also don't split all the wood and if I do its by hand. If I can fit it through my 24"x30" door it goes in. I an looking and considering splitting all my wood at least in half to help it burn better, but its hard to think of doing this when I can toss in a huge pine chunk and it last over 24 hours. I will admit I'm learning how the stove works.

I grew-up with burning wood inside so I can't say i'm new to burning firewood, but I can learn to burn and operate my stove better. My understanding is all conventional OWB Stoves will smoke and you can only reduce the amount by operation changes and by adding a chimney that is reaching to mars. Since last year I have changed from packing it full to filling it much less leaving more room around the wood in the fire box. I also have added and taken the chimney off. I am also trying to change the times I fill the stove. The biggest change is I will never fill the stove with only box elder because of the smell my neighbor complained about (I didn't seem to mind). Again thank all of you for your help and I have tried many of your ideas I can without spending money on the stove first.       

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 07:05:20 AM »

browncty,
Your plan of having 2-3 year old wood is good in theory.  However, it has been my experience that some wood doesn't dry well when not split - especially the size chunks you are talking about.  And oak is even slower than the rest if not split.  Maybe, the wood you are thinking is dry, isn't nearly as dry as you hope.  Your idea of splitting them just once will go a long way into drying the oak out much faster.  I wish you the best with figuring out your smoke problem. 

browncty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 07:09:01 AM »

Thanks I'm looking for reduction and times of smoke do help alleviate the issue. If I get a wood splinter I'll split it to a more manageable size. I like the large pieces but I'm not getting any younger and to be honest it's work to get a large piece in the stove.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 07:13:49 AM »

I would put all of my money on the fact that you are burning wood over 10 inches in diameter. First off you should try splitting the wood that is over 10 inches in diameter in half and put a moisture meter to it, I bet its around 30% esp the oak, it may be even higher than that. Second, you said you have burned wood for years, have you ever tried to stick a huge unsplit piece of wood into your wood stove? It just smokes and smolders and puts off a little bit of heat and a lot of smoke. Yes it lasts a long time but it just smokes. Split anything over 10 inches in half atleast, you will get the hang of the size needed to be not smokey but not burn right up. You will continue to smoke your neighbors out until you get the right size wood. I try to burn 6 months seasoned wood. Its not to dry and not to wet. I make sure that I keep a good coal bed to dry out the wood when it goes in and make sure it is all around 10 inches or less in diameter.
Pages: [1] 2