Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: grate question  (Read 2002 times)

46mech

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Taylor
  • OWF Model: T450
    • View Profile
grate question
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »

Hey guys, I have a Taylor OWB that I purchased used, and installed myself this fall. Not my first choice of brands but it was what I could afford. Despite the lack of popularity, I'm satisfied with it so far but have a few thoughts as to how it might be improved. One being the addition of a grate in the firebox to make the removal of ashes easier. My blower is mounted on the door and the bottom of the opening for the blower is about 3"-4" off the floor of the firebox. My question is how high should I set the grate off the floor of the firebox. It would be nice to have some airflow under the grate, but I don't know if that's realistic or not since the air would just take the path of least resistance and not flow up through the grate anyway. Also I'm effectively making my firebox smaller so raising it to the upper half of the blower opening doesn't seem like an option. One last thing, having never seen one of these grates, what size cold roll rod should I use for the grate and what should I set the spacing. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Stihl MS361
Stihl MS290-bow
Stihl 026
Stihl MS170
JD 790 4WD w/ loader
Home made 37T splitter

franky1

• View Profile
Re: grate question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »

3/4 inch should be a good space,,
I am not sure what u wanna do,,,am not familiar with that brand,,but I am thinkin if u weld a solid piece of metal for grates,,the length of the stove,,,this will warp
the short way,,from left to right,,would be an option,,then u can get bricks too that could possible fit,,bricks that are made for these jobs...

46mech

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Taylor
  • OWF Model: T450
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »

I had the same thought about the direction. The box is 36" long but only 24" wide so I think if I use decent size rod, and go the short way I can do it unsupported? I'm planning to use either angle or flat bar on the sides to support the rods. Having not seen the ones used by other brands, I didn't know what the spacing was on the rods. Didn't want to let large coals through but know it needs air. How high do you think off of the floor?
Stihl MS361
Stihl MS290-bow
Stihl 026
Stihl MS170
JD 790 4WD w/ loader
Home made 37T splitter

franky1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:20:45 PM »

I burn a ML 36 from P&M,,they had 2 inch square tubing,,running the length of the stove,,,but thay have water run through them,,if not they would surly warp

3roofmen

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: homemade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 04:40:15 AM »

I used 1 inch rebar and spaced 1/2 inch apart, could be a little closer just depends on kind of wood