Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Optimizer 250  (Read 23437 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: Optimizer 250
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 06:59:30 PM »

Had a issue with my Optimizer today.  I noticed lately that it did not seem be gasifying as hotly and loudly as it did initially and that I was getting a lot of condensation out the refractory door.  Today it got worse, so started checking what could be the problem.  Checked the wood moisture, ash and elm, it was anywhere from 15 to 22%, so  didn't think that to be the issue.  I thought might have a blockage in the injection fan enclosure, it was clear.  I had thoroughly cleaned the heat exchangers on Friday, so knew them to be clean (only a light coating of dust and fly ash).   I finally found the problem, some of the air holes for the firebox draft along the top of the firebox were plugged and most importantly the bottom one in the back.  I never really had paid attention to their location, I know where they are now!  They are located on each side and bottom of the injection tube that is at the top of the firebox, approx. 5/8 to 3/4 inches in diameter.  There is also one at the bottom of the tube in the back of the firebox.  I  think I found out what the  hook  on the end of the ash poker that came with the stoves are used for, to clean out the draft  holes!  I now know to check and make sure they are open.  I think the one in the back and bottom of the square tube got plugged by pushing coals and wood against them when I loaded the stove.
I know your stove is running ,bit I would love to see a few pics of this air draft pipe you are referring to.
My stove I built has an air tube to feed the air to the front of my burn chamber.I place 3/4" holes in mine and Noticed I was getting the same problems as you ran into while mine was running last winter.I pulled the tube out welded the holes on the top side shut as creosote was getting in the tube and slowly plugging it up.I then opened up the bottom holes ,and also opened up an 2x3" hole in the side of the tube.Now my firebox is pressurizing and burning way more efficiently.Sounds like you are running into the exact same problem I did.Might find the small holes and the tube may plug up with creosote as the burning season goes on.Can the tube be pulled out and cleaned?Keep us updated on this issue. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

skyking

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: 250 Optimizer - Gasser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »

Jackel, will try to get some pictures inside my stove when the fire is low.  I tried to post some pictures of my setup, but they said file was too big.  How do you get it small enough to send?  By the way stove seems to be working much better with 10* spread and removing the turbulators.  No condensation tonight at all.
Portage & Main 250 - Gasser

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »

I to had troubles getting my pics resized to post in the forum like I have always done in the past.So I ened up putting them on the wifes photobucket and then using it to post them here.Not sure whats up with it.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 07:53:16 AM »

Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Bill G

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Opt. 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »

Haven't posted a report in awhile, so here we go....Still get a bit of creosote, which I do my best to scrape down daily.  Yes, my wood is seasoned good and is dry.  Got me a moisture meter as suggested, and it shows 14-18% on my wood when re-split.  9-12% on exposed ends.  Mix of oaks, ash, hickory, black birch, rock maple.  All good stuff!

Tried a 10 deg diff setting and can't keep a fire going with such a long down time.  Getting by fine with 174 on/off 180.  6 diff.

We built house in 2000 and it is well insulated.  2800 sq ft. 

Very well pleased thus far and glad the propane company is no longer on our "monthly hand-out list".

Has anyone heard from P&M on your water samples that you sent in? 

Sure do enjoy the nice steady heat throughout our whole house. 

Bill
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
(Beagles and snowshoe hares!!)
NE PA

gdeloz

• OWF Brand: portage and main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer250
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »

Ive been burning my 250 about 2 months now and I love it. After paying $3.69 for oil the day my stove arrived it hasnt been on even once. This stove does take a little getting used but I think i'm getting the hang of it. I wish I had found this post before starting my stove since it would have answered some of my questions the owners manual didnt cover. I'll share some of my experiences and observations and hopefully pass on some of my hard learned lessons.
  When I first started the stove and the water was cold the top tubes acted like a condenser and water was pouring out the upper cleanout doors. This stopped once the water got to operating temperature.
  I was stirring the ashes around before putting more wood but several times I blocked the bottom hole with ashes and the stove would not burn and actually cooled down. It does all kind of crazy things when that happens. Even if I stir the ashes, I make sure the hole is open before I put wood over it.
  I have noticed a buildup of creosote inside the rear airbox and fan. This did cause a problem and jam the rod that opens the air doors. I cleaned the slider and loosened the bolt and it works ok now.
  I raised my cutoff temp. to 185 with a 10 degree diff and it seems to work a little better with my heat exchanger. I think I will try a lower diff setting during the milder weather periods.
  I did have creosote pooling inside the lower cleanout door during milder weather. I am guessing this is from long idle periods since it has decreased during the colder weather.
  The door gasket was leaking on the lower left corner because the gasket wasnt fitting properly and didnt seal with the stove opening. I ended up getting some door seal and filling the outer edge of the channel and sealing the gap.

I wish I had bought this stove earlier instead of feeding an old 30 year old boiler that used a cord of wood every 2 weeks.
AC 180 Tractor
Uniforest 60E Winch
Stihl saws
Homemade wood spliter

Ridgekid

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 08:43:26 AM »

Aint it great to be free from the oil man!

Congrats and welcome to the site!

Bill G

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Opt. 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 02:30:25 PM »

gdeloz,

Welcome aboard friend!

My first year too w/opt 250.  You can be sure it is quite the learning curve to get the hang of smooth operation!  But, it sure does keep the house comfortable.  My biggest concern to date was a possible water leak which Brian (P&M) helped me to straighten out.  Turns out the guage does not read correct and I was overfilling.  Not really overfilling as there may be, (most likely) a bad weld on top where the guage pipe is welded into top of boiler.  Will look into after burning season.  In mean time, just check level every now and then with dip stick.

Martyinmi, was most helpful in finding this problem. 

I  found it rather difficult to keep a fire when outside temps are warm.  It runs to perfection when house or DHW calls for heat on a normal basis.  My warm weather settings were 180 off 174 on.  Now, as per Marty's suggestion  185off 179on and she keeps a fire fine. 

Do get a slight bit of smoke, nothing to be overly concerned with, during burn cycle.  Tried all kinds of adjustments on air and still a slight bit of smoke.  Certainly not enough to offend anyone. 

All in all, very well pleased, and learning as we go!

Bill G
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
(Beagles and snowshoe hares!!)
NE PA

kjw58

• OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: 275G- Coal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 07:46:53 PM »

Hi Guys
 I don't have a P&M gassifier, but I do have a Natures Comfort Gassifier and I have found that the stove runs much better set at 190 with a 5deg diff.  (thats on at 185 off at 190).  It actually burns less wood and far less creosote issues.  Give it a try, it may help your stove run better.    :thumbup:
S.E. Mich.
New Holland TC40DA
IH 464 w/2250 Loader
6 x 10 Dump Trailer
2 Stihl 261's
Poulan 3400 & 3700
Poulan 2150
Homelite Super XL

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 04:41:30 AM »

Welcome to the site gdeloz and congrats on your investment.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

gdeloz

• OWF Brand: portage and main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer250
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 07:50:35 AM »

I know one of the big selling points of these owbs is you only have to load them once a day, but i'm finding i get less creosote and better burn times if I put a few pieces in several times a day. I'm guessing in theory the stove does not have to heat up a large amount of wood at one time and get rid of the excess moisture before it can burn hot. I still fill it up at night but several times a day I throw a few pieces in so it does not take so much at night.

I have about 4-5 inches of ashes/coals in the main burn chamber. do you take some of these ashes out or let them cycle through the nozzle?
AC 180 Tractor
Uniforest 60E Winch
Stihl saws
Homemade wood spliter

skyking

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 11:27:24 AM »

I usually just let them cycle through.  P & M recommends a thorough periodically.  We have been in Calif. the last two weeks, so plan to do a complete cleaning tomorrow when we get home.  I have been burning it continuously since the first of October.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »

How are all you guys doing with the OP 250 this year, new too the site but i have had mine for a couple years now. Still playing with it to get "optimal" burns. Martini, i read you were going to burn some slab wood, is that hardwood or softwood? How does the boiler like those? I have burnt a few loads, seems to work alright if you are home during the day, got some standing dead pine i,m going to through in this weekend during the day.
Western Maine

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »

ftp://

watch that pine if you open the door between burns, that stuff creates gas like nitro...explosive stuff!
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

skyking

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 05:43:57 PM »

Coolidge,  are you or have you been having trouble with condensation dripping out the doors or out the bottom of the fan box?  I guess they are coming out with a fix for the dripping fan box which will extend the shaft on the damper motor and adding a closer to the air inlet tube to the refractory.  They are also coming out with a stainless cover to go over the firebrick on the refractory door because of the trouble with the fire brick breaking.  Talked to Brian at P&M today about it.  Over all I am happy with the unit, seems to gassify pretty well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:46:15 PM by skyking »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5