Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Storage for next heating season  (Read 5794 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Storage for next heating season
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:32:27 AM »

Presently I store all of my firewood in an old chicken coop that I cleaned out that had been used as storage for junk.  It has 3 large windows that I plan to frame with louvers to let the wind and air flow through but keep the firewood dry but keep the elements away.  The chicken wire fencing is still covering the windows so I'll leave that there to protect the louvers when I'm stacking the firewood.  I'm also thinking of adding some louvers to the gable ends of the building to allow more air flow.  I'm thinking that if I keep about 6 inches of space between each row of firewood, I should be able to store it inside earlier in the season instead of waiting until fall time.  Anyone see any problems with that plan?  Thanks, Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

dirtryder

Re: Storage for next heating season
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »

Sounds like a solid plan to me. You already are figuring that "air is your friend"
I put up a carport and had heavy duty tarps made for the sides to drop when foul weather comes in. Holds 12+ full cords...

Ridgekid

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:40:10 PM »

Wow I like that dirtryder. Do you get a lot of snow in your area? What's the load rating on the roof?

dirtryder

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »

Wow I like that dirtryder. Do you get a lot of snow in your area? What's the load rating on the roof?

Well, I'm in Southern Jersey so compared to you I probably don't....but the last 2 or 3 years have been nuts.  I haven't had a problem yet and there are many, many carports (used for cars) around me and I've only seen a handfull that have collapsed under the snow. You can get them with the ribs in the roof running from peak down to gutterline specifically for higher snow loads.....just cost more. Mine is made out of the next "larger gauge" metal and I have angled supports inside on every vertical post supporting the roof. Those were "added" charges I felt I should invest in. It's also 1 ft higher than standard so I can drive my "little helper" into it with a load of wood. I love it..........

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 04:38:41 PM »

dirty - what kind of boiler is that?  And where in sj are you?  Tabernacle here

dirtryder

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »

dirty - what kind of boiler is that?  And where in sj are you?  Tabernacle here

It's a Central Boiler 6048  located in Milmay

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »

Sounds like a solid plan to me. You already are figuring that "air is your friend"
I put up a carport and had heavy duty tarps made for the sides to drop when foul weather comes in. Holds 12+ full cords...

dirtryder - I like your carport idea but if I tried to do that where I live, I'd have to get a building permit and then get it inspected by the building inspector to meet local building codes.  Yes, even if storing just firewood.  All in the name of money for the town coffers.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

dirtryder

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 06:32:18 AM »

dirtryder - I like your carport idea but if I tried to do that where I live, I'd have to get a building permit and then get it inspected by the building inspector to meet local building codes.  Yes, even if storing just firewood.  All in the name of money for the town coffers.  Roger

Well, In our township it is not considered a "permanent" structure if there is a dirt floor and/or it is not physically bolted down to a foundation, so you don't need a permit............... I THINK ::)

Ridgekid

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 06:39:58 AM »

That's how I got way with putting up my 16 x 32 pole barn!! Not a permanent structure! Nice there's always loop holes huh?

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 04:05:16 PM »

Roger you need a permit for a carport?..If so are you taxed on it?.
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 05:07:40 PM »

I have been selling outdoor shelters for years and most towns do not charge tax unless it is considered perminate, so using a anchor in most places is temp. so towns do not consider it a temp. if it was engineered for you so if the carport was draw up just for you then you might pay a tax vs. buying a kit that was mass produced, but I have had some customers call and tell me they ended up paying taxes. So in the end your town will do whatever they feel like doing.
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »

Yeah I hear ya on that..Towns will do whatever they feel like doing.. I know some people that bought a car port..I don't think they are taxed on it..Town made them put supports in the center of the car port due to snow load....Kinda makes me think that carports should meet a state's spec, where you don't need a town inspector..After all you can buy them anywhere and use them anyway you want to use them; as a car port  wood shed etc.... As long its not a permanent fixture..No concrete footing..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

MTJAG

• OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »

I would love to get one of those, but am concerned about the wind here.  Snow would also be a consideration.  How do you have it anchored?
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

dirtryder

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 06:31:36 AM »

How do you have it anchored?

It is held down to the ground by 8 (4 per side) 4 foot long pieces of 1/2" rebarb with a nut welded to one end. They are put through the bottom tubing holes and driven into the ground with a sledge. We get lots of wind around here, most recently hurricane Irene, and I have had no problems.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »

I still keep tossing the idea of putting one of these up on the front of my boiler so I can load wood out of the rain.I like the tarp made to fit as a great idea.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: [1] 2