Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Insulation used on Portage and Main boiler  (Read 2551 times)

MrDan27611

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML42
    • View Profile
Insulation used on Portage and Main boiler
« on: December 03, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »

So I'm installing my new ML42. For reasons not relevant here, I ordered the boiler without insulation or cladding. I honestly didn't think getting insulation would be a big deal. Now that everything is hooked up, it's time to put the insulation on and my insulation guy has run screaming into the woods because he doesn't want his insulation dealing with all the heat.

So what does P&M use for insulation and maybe even more important, what do you guys use for insulation. I'm planning on foam insulation but could use batten if I have to.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
Re: Insulation used on Portage and Main boiler
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »

I think its about R19 fiberglass, don't think there is anything special about it.  The highest temp the insulation will see is the water temp.  Foam would probably work well and be water proof unlike the fiberglass.  Almost forgot the bottom on mine is only insulated with foam board.
North Central Ohio

coolidge

• View Profile
Re: Insulation used on Portage and Main boiler
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »

I think the company(PM) uses Roxul for there insulation now. It is rated for 2100 degrees. Good product but only marginally better than fiberglass. NO ITCHING    I have used the roxul product and then sprayed closed cell foam to the Roxul on a CB that burnt.  Wouldnt recommend it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:34:06 PM by coolidge »
Western Maine