Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sidearm - what am I missing?  (Read 2762 times)

Kyle

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML30
    • View Profile
Sidearm - what am I missing?
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:11:33 PM »

Hey guys, I just joined a while ago seeking some help to get my new P & M to burn right after installation. Now that I have it burning right...I just finished installing a sidearm and it isn't working. Does anyone have pics of a working unit? Can anyone offer an explanation on how they work (convection or thermosiphion)? I'm not totally useless, but I'm also not experienced (at all!!) with plumbing, sidearms, etc. here is how I have been told to hook up, and so this is what I have done:

- hot water from OWB into bottom of sidearm (side exit)
- return to OWB out of top (side exit)
- drain at bottom of WH into bottom of sidearm (bottom - portable port of sidearm)
- pressure relief was removed from top of WH and that is now hot water (top - potable port of sidearm)
- pressure relief is now installed inline above this port

Any help is welcomed here guys. Don't be afraid to be blunt - I have big shoulders and all I care about is getting this system up and running!

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Sidearm - what am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:34:18 PM »

go to www.centralboiler.com

click on "furnace installation" and then scroll down to "water to waterheat exchanger" there will be a diagram of what you need to know
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

kjw58

• OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: 275G- Coal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »

I am not sure if it makes any difference which way the boiler water (from owb) flows thru the sidearm. I was told to hook it up the opposite way you have yours, I don't know if it makes a difference or not.  I do know that it is critical that you have the horizontal pipe that runs from the sidearm to the hot water tank where you removed the pressure relief valve has to be right on top of the tank as close as you can possibly get it or it will not thermosiphon. I have had a few issues getting mine to work right, the key to the whole thing working right is that horizontal pipe.  Hope this helps, send me a pm if you have any questions.
S.E. Mich.
New Holland TC40DA
IH 464 w/2250 Loader
6 x 10 Dump Trailer
2 Stihl 261's
Poulan 3400 & 3700
Poulan 2150
Homelite Super XL

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:26:47 AM »

Sounds like you have it hooed up the same way as mine, I may have the boiler water going the oppostie direction, should be hot enough not sure it would matter.  Are you certain the drain port on you water heater was clear and clean?  I had to flush a whole bunch of crap out of mine.  Do you have anyway to flush the air out, could have an air lock.  What is your water temp needs to be significantly higher than the water heater to start a thermal siphion.  Hope this helps.
North Central Ohio

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:00:20 AM »

Sounds like it is airlocked. Do you have some way to bleed the air out of the pipe at the top? If you put the relief on a tee where it was it usually will work to bleed it.
Just a small air bubble in there can keep it from circulating.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 03:36:24 PM »

i agree with RSI, it is air locked, i wonder if you put the top of the side arm domestic back into the domestic leaving the tank if that would cure it all...if any air bubbled out of the water and went up the domestic feed line it would just keep rising and not effect the siphoning  of the side arm. the way it is hooked up now you could get an air lock often if you are like me and have a lot of gas in yoru well water?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:20:07 PM by willieG »
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada