Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1450 Issues after first year  (Read 4210 times)

killed300ex

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
1450 Issues after first year
« on: May 12, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »

Finally shut down my wood boiler for the summer this weekend. (Central boiler 1450) I sot it up and running around thanksgiving and haven't looked back. It performed great all winter and seemed good on all my cleanings. When I did my end of season cleaning I found the charge tube in the bottom to be just short of destroyed. Dunno how it got hot enough to melt stainless but it did. Any ideas what could have caused this. Also the firebricks below the charge tube are cracked and flaking apart. I am going to visit my dealer I bought it from tom or Tuesday after work to see what he says and see if it will be a warrenteed.
Also what are you guys doing for summer storage to protect the firebox/ metal from corrosion? A coworker always used motor oil in his classic wondering if its still acceptable to do on the new e-classics?
Thanks
Evan

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: 1450 Issues after first year
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:01:05 AM »

Finally shut down my wood boiler for the summer this weekend. (Central boiler 1450) I sot it up and running around thanksgiving and haven't looked back. It performed great all winter and seemed good on all my cleanings. When I did my end of season cleaning I found the charge tube in the bottom to be just short of destroyed. Dunno how it got hot enough to melt stainless but it did. Any ideas what could have caused this. Also the firebricks below the charge tube are cracked and flaking apart. I am going to visit my dealer I bought it from tom or Tuesday after work to see what he says and see if it will be a warrenteed.
Also what are you guys doing for summer storage to protect the firebox/ metal from corrosion? A coworker always used motor oil in his classic wondering if its still acceptable to do on the new e-classics?
Thanks
Evan

Evan - I don't have any words of wisdom regarding the charge tube.  The design on eclassic 1400 is quite different than that on the 1450.  The metal of the charge tube on the 1400 is quite think so it would take a lot to destroy it.  I think you're on the right the track going to the CB dealer to see what he says.  I'd be interested to hear to it too.

On the last picture, what was that white stuff?  If it's rope, I would carefully remove it and inspect under it. If there are refractory bricks or panels that look like they can be removed, do it with care not damage them too much.  My manual for the 1400 shows me how to do it.  My refractory panel which covers the entire floor of the fire box was manufactored in 2 pieces.  Last year it came in 3 pieces and this year it came out in 4 pieces.  It's safe to reuse them as long care is used to be sure the mating surfaces align.  That rope is there to prevent creosote and other stuff from getting behind the charge tube and wall to water jacket.  It doesn't stop all of it.  I had a goodly amount of creosote build up in that space.  I used the wonder bar CB provided when the OWB was delivered to scrape it nice and clean.   Make sure all your corners and welded seams are clean of any creosote.  Plus, make the primary air holes along the sides and I think in the rear of the fire box are as clean as you can get them.  When I'm satisfied that I have removed as much of the creosote and ash, I saturate the entire thing with a mix of motor oil and diesel fuel.  Apply a liberal amount to every surface you can see.  Again, once I'm happy that I have one all that I can to rid it of creosote, I then put a bucket over the chimney to prevent rain from getting inside it, close the door for the season.  I think it took me over 4 hours from start to finish to complete the cleaning process on my 1400.  Make sure you unplug the circualtor pump and close all valves.  At least once a month run the pump for 10 or 15 minutes to help prevent it from seizing from non-use.  If you need clarification, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.  Good luck.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Ohiowood

• OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: E-classic1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 04:42:10 AM »

Hey Roger

I have a 1400  there is no charge tube on mine , you have one on your 1400?

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 07:34:22 AM »

Hey Roger

I have a 1400  there is no charge tube on mine , you have one on your 1400?

I misspoke.  I do not have a charge tube on my 1400.  I have the fusion chamber which is below the refractory panel. 

How did that area between the fusion chamber and wall of the stove look on yours?  When I removed the rope, fire brick and chamber, the wall had a fair amount of creosote on it.  I was somewhat surprised to see that because it's sealed against anything getting in there by the rope.  I wonder if it's more moisture collecting due to the extreme heat in the reaction chamber and a somewhat cooler metal surface temperature.  It doesn't matter at this point because after I cleaned it, I hit it heavy with oil thinking it should repel anything that tries to collect there.  Another thing I'm thinking of doing after next heating season, is when I clean the area, due to it not being an integral part of the heat transfer, I'll hit it high temp paint.  Mainly to protect the surface from rust and ultimately, failure.  Your thoughts?     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire