Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Has anyone done a comparison on the cost of wood vs electric for DHW for summer?  (Read 5270 times)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile

to heat your water would likley require (average hot water use) between 200 and 400 pounds of wood a month

example...30 dollars to heat your water...(say 8 cents a KWH) 3000 divided by 8 = 375 KWH x 3412 (btu in a KWH) = 1,278,500 btu for the months water..divided by 6000 (number of capturable btu in a pound of dry wood = 213 pounds of wood (at 100 percent efficiency and we know that aint true) so lets say  we go with  a 70 percent captured number....we would have to add about another 60 pounds of wood..so  to heat your water for 1 month would require about 270 pounds of wood or ....about 9 pounds of wood per day

as your hot wter use went up your wood use would rise as well..the above is just me playing with numbers. you actual wood use could be higher
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile

You've got my head spinning Willie  :thumbup:
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

browncty

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7400B
    • View Profile

Electric is pretty cheap and I will not run mine in the summer. Also my water lines run through my house so it would be too hot in the summer to run and it's 54 ft from house and outdoor patio. I don't the smoke smell all summer, and my neighbors would not appreciate it either.

f150bft

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
  • "Never argue with a fool" in North East Tennessee
    • View Profile

I notice about a $20-30 increase in my electric bill for hot water in the summer.  I have a Hardy and allow the water to flow through the coil in the woodburner so that it gets preheated slightly.  It is not worth the hassle of firing for hot water throughout the summer.

I was thinking this same thing and as an added bonus maybe let the circulator pump run this summer also. I am thinking I could get some cooling effect out of the water and use the fan that blows across the heat exchanger cool the air without using the a/c. It may not work at all but I am not out anything for trying.
Husqvarna Rancher 460
Homelite Super XL
1992 F150
1970 Wheel Horse Raider 12
1966 Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger
2009 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic
N.E. Tennessee

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions

I notice about a $20-30 increase in my electric bill for hot water in the summer.  I have a Hardy and allow the water to flow through the coil in the woodburner so that it gets preheated slightly.  It is not worth the hassle of firing for hot water throughout the summer.

I was thinking this same thing and as an added bonus maybe let the circulator pump run this summer also. I am thinking I could get some cooling effect out of the water and use the fan that blows across the heat exchanger cool the air without using the a/c. It may not work at all but I am not out anything for trying.

It might help slightly if at all. AC evaporators run cold, very cold actually, too low a air flow and it will freeze solid.

Primarily A/C removes water from the air, secondarily it cools the air. Even if you ran well water thru the coil constantly at 55 degrees, it will help, but not near what a dedicated AC unit that has frost on the lines will do.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

skorpyd

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Code name "Woody"
    • View Profile

I have a friend with 3 women in the house plus himself and he burns year round.   

My electric bill for DHW is itemized and last month my hot water was $15.33,   I don't know how much per month my circulating pump costs either.

So I won't be burning year round.
Pages: 1 [2]