Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: new taco pumps  (Read 3354 times)

fraizer1

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 434
    • View Profile
new taco pumps
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »

I have a question I was wondering if someone could help me out. My system requires two pumps. I just put on two new taco 0011 pumps. I have them running right now. The motors on both of them seem to be hotter than my last two pumps were when they were running. They run quiet just alittle warmer than I would like. Anyone have any ideas? Do you think the will be alright?
live in north central ohio, burn 10 cord of wood, had furnace 13 years

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Re: new taco pumps
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »

The taco I had on my Hardy always seemed to be pretty warm.  I always just assumed it was because it was conducting the heat from the water.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

JDfarmer

• OWF Brand: NCB 250 coal
  • OWF Model: NCB 250 Coal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 06:36:46 AM »

I have a Broeder Pump 3 speeds: 0-20gpm. When the boiler is running it feels hot. I think it's normal.

dirtdigger

• OWF Brand: wooddoctor
  • OWF Model: extra large
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 10:43:48 AM »

My old taco pumps were warmer to the touch than my grundfos pumps are, the metal around the motor is also thinner on the taco pumps which I figured accounted for some of it, unless the paint is burned I'm not sure I'd get worried about it, any time the paint discolored on my old one's was about the time they'd lock up and quit, requiring another new cartridge [guts] to be put into it. 

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »

Got it, thanks. Which pump do you like the best?
Grundfos, Broeder, Taco, other. Is it better to have it on low, med, or high?
I have been running Broeder pump on med and it worked fine. My water temp does drop 15-18F as the water goes through the air exchanger on the central heat. I wasn't sure if that is about average, or should I increase the pump speed.
I heat, water, 4000sqft house. There is no temp drop between the boiler to the house 80-100 feet I think.

thanks

My old taco pumps were warmer to the touch than my grundfos pumps are, the metal around the motor is also thinner on the taco pumps which I figured accounted for some of it, unless the paint is burned I'm not sure I'd get worried about it, any time the paint discolored on my old one's was about the time they'd lock up and quit, requiring another new cartridge [guts] to be put into it.

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »

This debate again, who's pump has the best color  ;D  -> its kinds of like the old Ford vs. Chevy question.  I personally would go down to your local plumbing supply house and see what they have on their shelf, cause that's where you will run when a pump blows out at 3am in the middle of a snow storm, not to www... and wait for 3 days to get the part shipped to you.  Point of reference, I chose Grundfos, because if I installed an Alpha pump with the "smart" ECM controls (Auto-adapt feature) I could get $$ back from utility company.

In regards to low, med, high; it is best to design you system to hit the middle of the pump curve, where ever that might be. 

...15-18F for a delta T across a HX is good; would not adjust pump unless your system can't keep up then I would bump it up.  Would not go any slower, kind of tough on boilers to send back COLD water & would not go faster, as over-pumping does not gain you anything. 
**Note: If you are seriously over-pumping you can cause erosion of metallic fittings

JDfarmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 12:20:48 PM »

Good point thanks. I was going to get what ever decent pump Maynard carries. This one I'm looking for is a backup one, so at 3am; at least I save a trip and I "only" have to swap the pumps out. I'll look at the Grundfos; I think they have it. I try to get boiler parts that have the fewest electronics/circuit boards; because they all seem to just break. My boiler is all analog, even the aqua stat thank God.
Thanks for the info.

This debate again, who's pump has the best color  ;D  -> its kinds of like the old Ford vs. Chevy question.  I personally would go down to your local plumbing supply house and see what they have on their shelf, cause that's where you will run when a pump blows out at 3am in the middle of a snow storm, not to www... and wait for 3 days to get the part shipped to you.  Point of reference, I chose Grundfos, because if I installed an Alpha pump with the "smart" ECM controls (Auto-adapt feature) I could get $$ back from utility company.

In regards to low, med, high; it is best to design you system to hit the middle of the pump curve, where ever that might be. 

...15-18F for a delta T across a HX is good; would not adjust pump unless your system can't keep up then I would bump it up.  Would not go any slower, kind of tough on boilers to send back COLD water & would not go faster, as over-pumping does not gain you anything. 
**Note: If you are seriously over-pumping you can cause erosion of metallic fittings

woodbutcher

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:31:57 AM »

I have a question I was wondering if someone could help me out. My system requires two pumps. I just put on two new taco 0011 pumps. I have them running right now. The motors on both of them seem to be hotter than my last two pumps were when they were running. They run quiet just alittle warmer than I would like. Anyone have any ideas? Do you think the will be alright?

Taco pumps are Wet Rotor Circulators.  I have the 0011 and run it year around. It's does get a little hot, but it don't hurt the pump. Mine has been running for 4 years non stop. Running it in the summer keeps the water in the boiler circulating so the water don't just sit. I have two buildings with two pumps and keep and extra 2 cartridges just in case one would fail. 4 years and still running.

sabercat

• OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 05:30:15 AM »

I have a taco 007, been running since 2001 non-stop

LittleJohn

• OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 07:34:42 AM »

Pumps that are warm to the touch are somewhat normal; you have to remember that you have water that is probably 160F+, from boiler.  So some heat will conduct/disipate thru metal parts.

...now that beign said, I would be more concerned with noises, coming from a pump (gurgling, gravelly sound, squeals, etc).  Noise generally equals air in the system and air is a bad thing when you are trying to pump water or water/glycol mix.