Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Did some wood splitting today  (Read 2590 times)

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Did some wood splitting today
« on: October 26, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »

The other day I hauled over my dad's 27 ton log splitter and got to work.  I have one huge silver maple and three smaller Norway maples that I took down in the spring for the installation of my OWB.  I got to work on the pile the other day.  I split until the gas tank on the splitter ran out.  I did that again today too.  I split everything no matter how small and I split the big stuff really small too.  My wife will be loading the OWB this winter while I'm at work so she needs to be able to move the wood.  I figure I've got about 3/4 cord of wood in a pile so far and about 2x that amount left to split.  Then an endless mountain of wood over at my dad's house...

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: Did some wood splitting today
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 07:14:50 PM »

without pics there is no proof this happened :P
I so need to build me a splitter.When you get done there.I have about 8 acres of logs that will need split when you get a chance. ;D
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »

I got a guy in the neighborhood to help me in the woods, he splits the whole time i cut.   we can flat out make the wood fly! 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:55:45 PM »

i never use my wood splitter. cut mostly dead elm they never get too big. at most , only about 10 or 15 feet of the trunk ever need split and a man on the axe for five minutes does not tire and is actually faster than a splitter. If i can lift it with my poor back, it don't need split!

Now if i had big trees i would likley use it..I don't..so...I don't

a 27 ton splitter would require  abouta 6 inch cylinder at about 2000 psi or a 5 inch at 2800 psi
my old splitter uses a 5 inch cylinder and runs off the tractor that has about a 12 gallon a min. pump and pushes out about 2000 psi, but it never stalls very often unless i was trying to split oak knots
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:00:11 PM by willieG »
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada