Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking aorund for a new OWB  (Read 7705 times)

truecountry

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000 SS
    • View Profile
Looking aorund for a new OWB
« on: December 27, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »

Hi Everyone I'm new to this site .I live in South eastern Va near the NC line. The house im looking to heat is 2400 sq feet with 2400 sq feet basement finished (4800 total sq feet) 3 bathrooms 2 dishwashers and 2 washers 1 hot water heater .6 bedrooms 3 up and 3 down... Basically its My wife and me and four kids (we run out of hot water alot)..So im looking at heating the water and adding a coil to existing air handler ...The wood is free to me ao thats not a issue all i have to do is pay for hauling ( trash logs from a saw mill).. I've looked around on here for 2 days and i havent seen a Taylor owb Listed or mentioned ..I was going to look at a Shaver but saw the problems listed in forum so Ive cancelled them out ..A cousin of mine has a Hardy not sure what size but he hates it so im thinking he needed big stove ...Any suggestions would be help..Thanks

truecountry

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Looking aorund for a new OWB
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:21:08 PM »

Sorry this is a 10 old stick builted house with to pre formed soild concrete walls in basement and anderson double pain windows and doors ..

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »

Does VA have EPA emissions laws in place yet for outdoor wood boilers (if you care...)?  If so, your best bet would be to find a gassifier and put it in an outbuilding.  That would be the most cost effective solution if you need to follow EPA emissions standards in VA.  Although, for the price of a new OWB these days, you can pretty much build an insulated shack in your yard with a new gassifier and water storage in it for about the same price as installing a normal outdoor wood boiler.  More efficient, but more complicated and finicky. 

If not, there are many OWB's that will heat what you want as well.  Find one with dealer support close enough for you that has the features you want.  I like my Heatmor mostly for the sand and firebrick firebox floor, which is a common corrosion area in OWBs. 

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »

If I were in your area I would just call up Lauren Yoder at yoder heating.  www.yoderheating.com
he could tell you what you'd need and he sells a really good heatmaster stove as well. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

truecountry

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »

Thank you judd and scott the epa thing i dont has started here yet but i want the most efficiency i can get with out spending a lot .... scott i notice youre a Natures Comfort Territory Manager there is a dealer for them 60 miles from me... whats the difference is Heat Master outdoor furnaces better than natures comfort ..

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 12:27:51 AM »

It depend on what you want. The NC furnaces are made of mild steel while Heat Master is made of 409 stainless (except for the gassifacations furnaces). I wouldn't say one is far superior than the other.
 Most of my clients are going with either the MF5000 or the MF5000HE. If I was putting in a new furnace I would go with the MF5000HE. It has a double bypass and the draft blows both below and above the fire. This makes it produce less smoke and is 20% -30% more efficient than a traditional outdoor furnace.
 Heat Master furnaces come with a shaker grate and ash pan so they are able to burn wood or coal.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

rick n kristi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 06:54:16 AM »

Truecountry,
I would look at a Natures Comfort 325G. It is capable of heating better than 2 times the area you are heating. If you ever add a shop or need to heat another building the 325G has the capacity. It is an updraft style gasification OWB. In my research I found this type is less finicky about the moisture content of the wood you burn although like all others, the better the wood the better the results. I am also new to the OWB but did research the subject for several years before going with the 325G. It was somewhat a gamble on my part because it is a new model but has proven to be more than what I expected. I am heating 3600 sq ft ranch with 3000 sq ft of basement; I have a plate heat exchanger for domestic water heat and have turned off my electric water heater. The propane furnace is used only as an air handler and I keep the house at 70 degrees. The house was built in the early 70s and is not insulated to today’s standards. I have gone 36 hours on a load of wood with 2 scoop shovels of Kentucky lump coal included and still could have gone longer before starting to lose ground on the water temp I maintain (180). The best part is having my first hot shower in 9 years! I would strongly suggest buying an OWB that is bigger than you need as this will allow a lot of freedom from having to tend the Boiler often. Good luck on your research and investment!
Natures Comfort 325G
Still 038 magnum

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »

The natures comfort stoves are efficient and very simple.  The 325g is a big unit but will heat anything up to around 10k sq feet.  If I were closer I would work with you on something, however, I realize the importance of having a good dealer close by, that's why I said to contact yoder heating, he's much closer to you and heatmaster have good furnaces!   
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

kjw58

• OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: 275G- Coal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »

GASSIFICATION !!!!   It is the only way to go,  you won't believe how much heat you can get out of a little bit of wood and hardly any smoke !!   check out the Natures Comfort GT-220   :thumbup:
S.E. Mich.
New Holland TC40DA
IH 464 w/2250 Loader
6 x 10 Dump Trailer
2 Stihl 261's
Poulan 3400 & 3700
Poulan 2150
Homelite Super XL

truecountry

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »

Yoderheating im localed in clarksville va and will be contacting you later..

truecountry

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 05:40:28 PM »

Thanks for all the info from all you guys

truecountry

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 07:06:54 PM »

... Now guys i have to tell you all , Me wanting to get the owb for the house is for saving money and getting more hot water and heat .. My wife is a HVAC TECH and now has decided if we get a OWB that we are going to move the hot water heater to the wood shop we have in the basement and build a blower box  for the same room and not use the heat pump split unit ... confusing it is to me but in a nut shell she doesnt think theres is enough room in the split unit for a water coil .. so she going to make it separate from it and use same duct work ... Anyways i got her thinking , and got the AOK to start looking more and more into this

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 08:24:51 PM »

there is room... you can put it in the return and on some models you can lift the A coil up about 3" and slide the water coil right under it, its a near perfect fit sometimes.  But, thats with a downdraft.  There is always some place to put it though.
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »

Even though she's a HVAC tech, maybe you could get her turned onto radiant floor heat too.  That stuff rocks, but most traditional HVAC folks stray away from it because they're unfamiliar with it.  Nothing like walking barefoot on a warm tile floor...

truecountry

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 09:27:54 PM »

Thank yall for all the resposes

@scott There is not much room where the A/H is now.  It is a 5 ton unit and located in the basement.  When we do this I would like to have it seperate from the H/P.  There would be no problem in me adding a blower and box and adding it into the existing duct work.  In the future when I have to replace the heat pump it will be moved.  Where it is located now is beside a bedroom, and in my option it is loud.

@judd I have looked at radiant flooring and like it myself but in all the houses I have been in, there is not one around here that has it.  It doesn't get that cold here and this is the first year I have actually seen snow in about 6 years.

Mrs Truecountry
Pages: [1] 2