Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking aorund for a new OWB  (Read 7703 times)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Looking aorund for a new OWB
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »

radiant heatis by far the most costly to pu tin but by far teh nicest heat there is. and it is absoultely quiet i have installed it in a basement floor with the rest of my house being forced air. i now almost live in that basement. the room is always  70 to  72 and the floor is always nice and warm on the feet and there is no noise coming out of furnace pipes!

if i ever build a new house it will be floor heat all the way!
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 10:08:46 PM »

With a five ton unit you will want a fairly large coil. If the coil is too small you would have trouble getting enough heat off of it and also could restrict air flow hurting your heat pump. Better to do a little more work and get a large coil in then undersize everything and them have problems later on.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »

If it really doesn't get that cold there, I wonder if your money would be better spent on a more efficient heat pump and gas furnace combo.  You're looking in the $8-10k range for a wood boiler and installation, plus your time spent either splitting the wood or your money spent buying the wood.  Just a thought.

truecountry

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »

Heat pump is a Carrier, and top of the line at the time installed 10 years ago.  Like I said before, this would be installed seperate from the A/H on the heat pump.  I will add in another blower and duck work in a different location and tie it into the existing duck work.  Wood is no problem getting.  Hubbie gets all he wants from work.  We got 3 dump truck loads this year.

Mrs Truecountry

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »

Another cheaper option might be to find an indoor wood boiler and put it in a simple shed.  Those are usually in the $2-4k range.  You can actually find a couple of new gassifiers on ebay for about $3500.  That is probably the route I would go these days if I were putting in one so I could throw a good pile of wood inside the shed with me for the cold cold days when I'm loading. 

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »

stick with your outdoor wood boilers, you get what you pay for.  This indoor gasifiers and such are worthless unless you have LOTS of storage for water.  It turns into be a much bigger job than it seems.  A lot of people running those indoor gasifiers have 2000 gallons of pressurized storage.  I'd just keep it simple and get a efficient outside stove and do like you said with it's own blower.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

truecountry

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: MF5000 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »

if yoder is willing to work with us im heading his way see what we have and with my wife decide whats better... point blank wood is free i pay for it hauled here ...

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 07:15:14 AM »

Of course I would be happy to work with you on whatever you might need. You sound as if you may be a little far away for me to do all the installation but it sounds like you may have that covered also.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

rtimber

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »

Personally, I would look for the following in an OWB:  Heavy duty steel (1/4"+),  ROUND INTERIOR design has 40%? less welds and round from an engineering standpoint is desirable, simpler the design the better (how available are replacement parts?),  the DEALER who sold you the stove is very important if you have any problems or questions after delivery...
Pages: 1 [2]