Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Can the anti-corossive chemical cause heat loss?  (Read 1581 times)

mrmopar22

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML-30-3A
    • View Profile
Can the anti-corossive chemical cause heat loss?
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:45:30 AM »

I drained my boiler and changed a few things this fall.  I filled it with straight water and ran it for a month or so because I didn't have any anti-corrosive agent.  It was recommended that I use this stuff from Certified Labs for wood boilers because it was some of the best.  I know it leaves a white film/coating on the insides of all the system components in order to prevent corrosion.  The jug said that one gallon would treat up to 300, I'm not sure how large mine is, and so I guessed.  I poured in 3/4 of the gallon into the system and within a week I started to get loss of heat from the air and water heat exchanger.   There use to be a major temperature difference between the inlet and outlet, but the other day I felt the return lines and they are almost as hot as the feed.  I know that in automotive if you mix the antifreeze wrong it will cause separation of the glycol and leave a jelly like film in the cooling system and diminishing its ability to dissipate heat.  My question is, can a wrong mixture of woodstove anti-corrosive cause a film that slows the heat exchangers ability to dissipate the heat?  Has anyone else run into this?  Is there a fix?
Certified Organic farmer
Lots and lots of IH equipment
Husqvarna chain saws
Mopars

Airgap

• View Profile
Re: Can the anti-corossive chemical cause heat loss?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »

I would be leery of any product that could leave a film in the heating components. Think of it like insulation, if there is a film in your heat exchanger it will lower the abilty to transfer heat from the copper to the fins, and then to the water.

It would probably be best with a product like that to bypass your heat exchangers when you circulated the system with that product. Heat exchangers are stubborn to get flushed when they get crapped up as well.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:58:14 AM by Airgap »