Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: G200 door leaking  (Read 10260 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: G200 door leaking
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »

To adjust the door, loosen the two nuts on one hinge, take a large open end wrench or something similar and stick the top jaw in and push towards the door till it is in the position you want. You will probably be able to easily see where it was once it moves.
Retighten the nuts and then do the same with the other hinge.

:post:

I use one of these instead with a piece of cardboard or something else behind it to avoid marring the finish.

However if you don’t have something similar I can see RSI’s big open end wrench working equally as well.

IMG_1834 by Marty Lappin, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:17:57 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 08:16:07 PM »

Even after adjusting it and putting in shims to get the door centered in the gasket, it still leaks at the lower door handle bolt. The door is contacting the gasket at all places but there seems to be less gasket or silicone on the bottom at the hinge bolt, about a 4-5 inch section. There are two slits in the silicone at the lower door hinge bolt, one above and one below the bolt but the gasket appears to be contacting the gasket. Not sure if it could be getting through these slits or how?

Running it hard does not stop the dripping. Probably going to have to replace the gasket but hard to do in the middle of heating season especially with a polar vortex coming later this week. Highs in single digits and lows near 10 below. 
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 04:58:04 PM »

I seem to be in the same boat this year. I have played with adjustment 3 or 4 times now. Can't get that thing to stop. Last year not one drip.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 05:18:35 PM »

Do you have much buildup on the door flange? I wonder if it pools up at the door and the comes out when it is opened.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »

To adjust the door, loosen the two nuts on one hinge, take a large open end wrench or something similar and stick the top jaw in and push towards the door till it is in the position you want. You will probably be able to easily see where it was once it moves.
Retighten the nuts and then do the same with the other hinge.

:post:

I use one of these instead with a piece of cardboard or something else behind it to avoid marring the finish.

However if you don’t have something similar I can see RSI’s big open end wrench working equally as well.

IMG_1834 by Marty Lappin, on Flickr

What is that thing? It is funny that the head of it is almost the exact shape as the top jaw of an open end wrench.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »

I am not sure what it is called but I have one of those tools. I used it today to try to adjust again. I have cleaned the flange around the opening on the stove. I looked at the door where it was leaking at three spots toward the center of the door. One spot the chalking on the gasket was pulled away a little from the bottom of the door and looked like the it was leaking from inside the gasket. The other two spots it looked like the stuff simply made its way right past the gasket.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 10:06:12 PM »

What is that thing? It is funny that the head of it is almost the exact shape as the top jaw of an open end wrench.

No ideal, picked it up at an auction in a box of “stuff”, the other end has a long taper for aligning bolt holes, most likely something a millwright or ironworker would use.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 10:28:20 PM »

I have one also, mine is just a pry bar about 15 inches long and pointed on the other end as mlappin said.

My leak is definitely coming from the handle bolt itself as I clean the actuator cover and before opening the door it has dripped down on the cover every day. The door gasket is contacting the sealing edge very firmly but it must be going around the gasket through the slits in the silicone at the door hinge bolt above and below the sealing edge. 
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

Mike Watkins

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »

Read through this thread several times now trying to understand precisely what it is you guys are actually adjusting when you "Adjust the door".

I have the same leakage problems as you all describe - creosote dripping down the front of the furnace - except mine has now developed a smoking "swoosh" every 3-4 minutes.  The attached a video shows what is happening but for those who cannot view the file (Windows Media Player works for me at least), smoke is intermittently bursting out of the bottom left corner of the front door, making this noise like a steam engine letting of pressure.  Effectively it is, I guess.

So adjusting the door seems like a good thing but I haven't attempted it because I cannot tell what I am trying to adjust it to? How do I know if/when I have it set correctly? I could see the hinge bolts may allow some door sagging over time but the latch bolts appear to be welded in to the door flange with no room to "Tap" backwards - even 1/8 inch?

Clearly, I am not "getting it" so, with apologies for being such a dumbass, any clarification you all can offer would be greatly appreciated

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »

The bolts that hold the door latch rollers are in slotted holes, those what are adjusted on the latch side.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 04:58:43 PM »

Read through this thread several times now trying to understand precisely what it is you guys are actually adjusting when you "Adjust the door".

I have the same leakage problems as you all describe - creosote dripping down the front of the furnace - except mine has now developed a smoking "swoosh" every 3-4 minutes.  The attached a video shows what is happening but for those who cannot view the file (Windows Media Player works for me at least), smoke is intermittently bursting out of the bottom left corner of the front door, making this noise like a steam engine letting of pressure.  Effectively it is, I guess.

So adjusting the door seems like a good thing but I haven't attempted it because I cannot tell what I am trying to adjust it to? How do I know if/when I have it set correctly? I could see the hinge bolts may allow some door sagging over time but the latch bolts appear to be welded in to the door flange with no room to "Tap" backwards - even 1/8 inch?

Clearly, I am not "getting it" so, with apologies for being such a dumbass, any clarification you all can offer would be greatly appreciated

Is it always doing that or only every now and then? If it is always doing it, I think you have two different problems. You need to tighten the door on the latch side by moving the rollers in like Mlappin said. I would move them in a little and try the door and move more if needed. If you need to adjust the hinge side, loosen the two nuts on one hinge at a time and pry door in as mentioned earlier then tighten. Just move a little and work your way around so one corner doesn't get too tight.

The "swoosh" may be an air flow problem. If it is still there after getting the door sealed, make sure the air intake disc under the cover on the front is working properly.

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 07:15:36 PM »

Always known that tool as a heal bar. My g-200 seems to be dripping a little from the hinge side of the lower door . I am going to leave it alone , cleaned the gasket as always and I'll see if it stops. Didn't do it last season.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 09:58:27 PM »

I would tighten it if it is leaking. It is real easy. It seems odd that you are getting dripping from the lower door. Are you sure it isn't dripping down from the top door?

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »

That is where I expected to see it coming from but is a very small amount on the slab and not on anything under the top door. Suprised to see it at all boiler is really kept pretty clean.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

Mike Watkins

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »

Thanks chaps...
On closer inspection, and after more assiduous creosote scraping, I discovered the latch bolts are, as mlappin pointed out, bolts that can indeed be adjusted.  So, for now, I have adjusted the bottom latch bolt inwards slightly to improve the seal.

Then, thanks to AirForcePOL, I cleaned off the front off the furnace with LAs Totally Awesome cleaner - "Awesome " is exactly right - then checked the boiler every 12 hrs or so, to see if the leaking stopped - so far it has!  Magic!

I also talked to my local dealer about the "Smokin' Swoosh" - she did some research and came up with this response from the oracle... "Yes, I've had mine do that too if it is loaded up with dry "baked" wood and the nozzle is a little choked. The wood gas ignites sporadically and "chuffs".  And the  baked wood gasifies very quickly and floods the nozzle with wood gas.  Usually digging a small hole through the coal bed with poker will send an even steady amount of wood gas / oxygen into the horseshoe brick."  Who'd have thunk it?

So, as RSI suggested, this was, in fact, two separate problems and the poor door seal at bottom latch was simply highlighting it.

You guys rock!

Pages: 1 [2] 3