Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: First year with my Heatmor  (Read 6294 times)

bigpaul

• View Profile
First year with my Heatmor
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:26:44 AM »

I love my Heatmor!  I live in the central Catskills in upstate NY.  My house is a 1750 sq foot modular ranch with a full basement.  Radiant heat throughout, 5 zones upstairs and 1 zone in the basement.  If the sun comes out the house won't call for heat during the day.  I started heating my hot water in early August and it has been lit ever since.  Started off with about 8 to9 cords of wood and I should be able to make it through the winter.  The last two years of burning oil I averaged 1000 gals. of oil a year.  I actually look foward to going out to load it at 6:00am on a -10 degree morning.  I am new to this forum and to my stove, but I feel like I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: First year with my Heatmor
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »

depending on the type of wood and it's moistur content  and the efficiency of your oil stove you are figuring close for your wood supply (i think)
if your oil stove was 85% efficient you would recover about 118 million btu from what it contains
if your wood boiler is 65% efficient and you use 10 cords of dry oak you will reap about 121 million of the recoverable heat in your wood

of course i am only guessing at the efficiency of your old oil stove and taking an average of the "not epa approved" OWB
welcome to the forum and hello from ontario canada
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada