Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hardy lawsuit?  (Read 4852 times)

johndeerebryan

• OWF Brand: hardy
  • OWF Model: h4
    • View Profile
Hardy lawsuit?
« on: March 20, 2012, 06:55:09 AM »

I wonder if other people have had problems with Hardy furnaces.  I bought a Hardy H4 new and although I had it three heating seasons, it was
only used for two seasons because Hardy was so late delivering.  Then last year I found out it was leaking water in more than one spot.  What
h appened then was I had to take the furnace back to the dealer and he had to wait for the factory truck to pick it up.  I took the furnace to the
dealer November 15 and did not get it back until February 20, so I lost the use of the furnace all winter!  To top it off, Hardy ended up charging
550.00 dollars.  They replaced the tank but charged me for parts the furnace did not need and almost three hundred dollars freight to go on their company truck.  Not one word of appology from Hardy!  I think there should be a lawsuit against them and maybe a complaint with the
Federal Trade Commision.  Anybody else had a similar problem.  At this time I would not recomend buying a Hardy furnace!

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: Hardy lawsuit?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »

I have never heard of anyone having problems like this from Hardy.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:22:01 PM »

Haven't read the warranty but sounds like they acted within the confines of most warranties I've saw
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »

generally warrranties are written to protect the  builder

hell i built my own and i wouldn't warranty it! i dont use  any chemicals any more, i dont check the ph, in the spring i just shut the pump off and in the fall i turn it on, i get lazy some nights and dont put any wood in and get up in the morning to a stove running at about 80 or 90 degrees (i have no thermal valve)

i guess i do just about everything that would make most dealers cringe..lol

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

TheBoiler

• OWF Brand: Garn
  • OWF Model: WHS2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:14:49 PM »

I agree, it could be that you have better rights without a warranty.

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »

Most states have what is known as an Implied warrenty. The Implied warrenty means that if you buy anything and the expected life is 10 years and it doesnt make it, and you did not abuse it then the company has to repair and/or replace it.If you look on the page where th warrety is wrighten, at the bottom in small print there is a statement. Says that state law superceeds the warrenty.
 If your having trouble with a toaster and the company doesnt act fearly then you can contact the attorney general.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:55:22 PM »

Most states have what is known as an Implied warrenty. The Implied warrenty means that if you buy anything and the expected life is 10 years and it doesnt make it, and you did not abuse it then the company has to repair and/or replace it.If you look on the page where th warrety is wrighten, at the bottom in small print there is a statement. Says that state law superceeds the warrenty.
 If your having trouble with a toaster and the company doesnt act fearly then you can contact the attorney general.
Woody your statement above "you did not abuse it" pretty much lets the builder off the hook..that is one of the reasons they have you send them a water test every eyar (they know most folks will give up on that) hell they may even come up with something like "the corrosion observed indicates that  regular maintenence was not carried out as per the warranty"  plus most warranties have a clause that states you must pay for shipping the unit back to their factory so they may inspect the unit. unless you live beside the factory it will cost big bucks to send it back. the builder has so many built in loop holes for himself i doubt yoru attoney general will even consider writing them a letter
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jcc273

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 07:26:26 AM »

My H2 is pretty old, I am not sure the exact year though.  i replaced components like the pump and blower cuz they were old and not working, but the tank, firebox, stack, etc. were all still in pretty good condition.  Never had any leaking issues or anything.  I did see another post on this forum from sawyer that was having similar problems with his H4:

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=3306.0

degradation in hardy quality for newly manufactured units?  or just bad luck?  i dunno, no issues here thankfully.
Jarrod
Hardy - H2
Northwestern PA

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »

Ive used it on a snowmobile and got some help.