Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: H4 door way constantly cracking and leaking  (Read 9051 times)

sawyer45306

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
H4 door way constantly cracking and leaking
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »

I have an H4 operate it year round, I put it into service in November of 2001 and been using it ever since. In the winter of 2004-2005 I had noticed a leak form at the top of the door way arch. I called my dealer and he didnt feel it was anything major and wanted me to try some boiler seal and see if we could get by thru the firing season. By the end of Jan 05 it was steady drip to where I would have ice form on the outside of the furnace. So the dealer brought a unit to use and had my unit shipped to Mississippi. As I understand the factory cut out the doorway and welded in basically a new front end. When the dealer brought my unit back the factory wanted to charge me for shipping it to them. I talked with the dealer and I called and talked with one of the head guys at the Hardy Factory,and shared with them that I felt that was out of line since it was THEIR workmanship that caused the crack. You could follow the crack right along the weld seam. The dealer stood the shipping charge, so I was charged just a portion of the material and parts. 4 years later it starts to leak again almost the same location it did the first time. After looking into what Hardy was going to charge me based on warranty depreciation and remembering how ticked the Hardy Factory rep made me, I decided to say "nuts to Hardy" and got a friend of mine who is a certified welder to repair the leak. He has since repaired leaks on the doorframe 4 times and everytime its followed right along the weld seams on that CRAPPY stainless steel Hardy uses. I have discussed this issue with several manufacturing and weld shops in the area and they all agreed 304 Stainless is NOT a good metal product to be using in a heating and cooling situation, like in a doorframe of these units. They told me that 304 gets brittle when heated and cooled over time and will fracture especially in areas like welds where it was super heated previously.  I cant believe my unit is the only unit having this issue. I did recently run across another unit that had the entire front end replaced.

As of now when the time comes that I seriously need to look into replacing this unit, I can say it will NOT be a Hardy. Reason I went with the Hardy, at the time I had budgeted a certain amount of money and the Hardy gave me all the options with it in that budgeted range. At the time all the dealers locally of other brands could hook my domestic system online too but they all used the side arm systems and that was an additional cost over and above the unit price. In regards to a Hardy "EATING" large volumes of wood, that is true and I am glad I work at a sawmill. I easily burning over 50 full size pickup truck loads of firewood a year. I hardly ever burn slabwood, I burn big chunks and chunks that have nails or other metal in it, basically prime firewood. I also learned that I get a better burn and use LESS firewood by burning green firewood. Everytime I burn dry firewood I actually burn more wood and have a harder time filling the firebox to keep a fire going thru the night ( 10 hr burn time )

I am curious has anyone or is anyone having repeated issues with their Hardy leaking ? I did see one thread  where some one felt a lawsuit was in order.
West Central Ohio

jcc273

• OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
Re: H4 door way constantly cracking and leaking
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:00:27 PM »

O wow that sounds horrible!  I have a Hardy, an H2, and have not had either of the above issues so far.  I am not sure on the year but its rather old. 

Mine was in the house when i moved in and the previous owner had passed away and the stove sat with water in it over the winter.
Needless to say i had to replace the internal copper coil and one piece of 3/8" copper on the filler line because they had froze and burst.  I also replace seized blower (creosote) and seized pump along with a few other minor things.   i also had to dig and scrape about 1.5-2ft of burnt garbage and creosote out of the bottom to even find the grate (looks like someone had burnt everything but the kitchen sink in there before shutting her down).

Everything else was fine though and when i took the hull off to replace the domestic coil there appeared to be no repairs on the tank and everything was still sealed up as from factory.  So even the frozen water inside seemed to do minimal damage and it is now up and running great.  My burn times are pretty good too.  i put wood in once every two days right now as its in the 40s.  and the week we had that chilled down into the 20s i still only checked it once a day and there was still a decent amount of wood.

I will keep an eye on everything, but so far i have been pretty impressed with the durability and functioning of the boiler, especially after the harsh treatment it endured.  Sounds like you have had a pretty bad experience though, and i don't blame you in the least for being pretty PO'ed at Hardy; I would too and if in your shoes i probably wouldn't get another.  I hope i don't encounter the same issues : /.  Good luck!
Jarrod
Hardy - H2
Northwestern PA

sawyer45306

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:12:48 PM »

I am on my third blower motor and third boiler level float. I would say I am on at least my 6th domestic water pop-off valve. My chimney baffle ( plate at the bottom of chimney inside firebox ) is my second one too. I even replaced the internal copper coil once.
West Central Ohio

sawyer45306

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:28:44 AM »

Just got my current leak repaired this morning. I think this coming summer I am going to have the doorway " overhauled ".
West Central Ohio

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »

What has happened to your blowers?  I have been through several as well.  Mine have had creosote buildup on the fan blades which causes them to break off, rendering it useless.
I have always tried to keep the ash level reasonable so the creosote didn't become a problem with the fan.  Hardy was no use with the issue, and as far as I know the entire unit has to be replaced instead of just the squirrel cage.

sawyer45306

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:48 AM »

Mine have has some build up too, but never had any blades break. Mine have just wore out, motors just quit.
West Central Ohio

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 08:01:03 AM »

blower motors are a small item (i think normally  under 100 bucks) they do wear out but i would say that mine have an average life of 5 or 6 years on my home built stove. i did at first have one wear out due to creosete build up in it, in a short while. this happens when your blower shuts off the air supply to the fire and then for some reason your blower system acts as a chimney and smoke backs up through the blower system. i f this is happening to you, you should be looking as to how you can correct this problem. if you can keep the creosete from getting in your blower it will last a much longer time
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Timberking

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 06:46:40 AM »

I have an H4 that was installed in 2001.  It just this year started leaking around the chimney.  I am thinking this is also a welding issue.  Has anyone else had it leak in this area?  What did you do about it if anything.  I noticed other posts noted replacing multiple parts on the Hardy,  I have replaced the blow off valve, the gaskets, the solenoids, the fill valve and the list goes on.  When I replace this H4 it won't be with another Hardy.