Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Building  (Read 2356 times)

freefour

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
Building
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:57:50 AM »

Did any of you guys build a building around your Hardy?  A friend of mine built a little insulated 8'x14' metal building around his and claims that keeping the wind off the unit helped cut down his wood consumption.  I have seen several other people that put those little cheapo $595 carports around theirs but that would help with the wind.  Do you think it would help protect the unit and prolong its life?

I am getting an H4 soon and wonder if I should pour the pad bigger to allow for a building.  Any thoughts?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Building
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »

putting abuildingn around it i would guess would indeed cut down some on wood use..lets face it..your house hets easier when the wind is not blowing on it even if the air temp is the same. It only makes sense that heat loss from your stove (no matter how well it is insulated) would be less in - 10 degree callm weather than in -10 degrees with a wind chill of -40

i had an old farmer tell me at a farm show that putting a snow fence around his OWB saved him a "ton" (what ever he meant i don't know) of wood
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

husky 555

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
Re: Building
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:46:33 PM »

Best thing I did was to put a metal pole building around my stove.  I went 16 x 20 and keeps me out of the weather as well as houses all my wood supply for the winter.  I even put a hangar style door on it so I could back into it and unload wood off my pickup/trailer. If it cut down on wood consumption it was not noticable.