Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Loading Practices  (Read 6746 times)

Mountain Duck

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10000
    • View Profile
Best Loading Practices
« on: November 13, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »

Hey All.  Long time reader, first time poster.  Sitting here enjoying my 74 degree house, getting ready to take a 20 minute shower!

Had a MF 10000 installed back in October.  Been extremely pleased so far, but have had a few issues of it going out.  Came home at lunch today, and to my surprise it was out.  Was able to stir it up a little and she fired back up, but would not have without assistance.

Been running 175 with a 10 diff.  I think my biggest problem is loading the wood.  I have a variety of wood in all shapes and sizes.  My strategy has been to try to keep my drier split stuff (hickory, cherry primarily) on the bottom to promote a good coal bed.  In anticipation of the stove, I cut some pieces in big chunks and left them round, assuming they would burn. I cut some dead standing pine, that I left in 12-15" rounds.  Seems like I can't find the balance between the smaller,drier stuff lasting long enough to keep the big pieces burning.  Make sense?

Do you guys try to time it where everything burns down low, then rake it down and reload?  Do you try to keep the ash pan low?

I guess I had in my mind, you just opened the door, threw in anything you could pick up, come back again tomorrow, and do the same.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks

truecountry

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: MF5000 SS
    • View Profile
Re: Best Loading Practices
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:20:16 PM »

Hey Duck ..i got a mf5000 and no problems at all so far ..But im burning mostly blocks no bark and dry ..ive mixed it with green and don't see no difference ,, Now it getting cold i been putting longer 38" dried oak 6x6s and 4x6s on top of blocks ......only thing i watch is ash pan empty seems burns more wood but half full is like a safe haven saves a few pieces ...now depending cool temp it needs to be loaded 2 times in 24 hours back in warm weather every 3 days .....where are you and temps there

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »

Sounds like you simply don't have much demand on it for the 10E

I always tell folks don't be shy with wood until your coal bed is developed, my advice would be to put in enough wood to give you a 24-30 hour burn each time up until the coal bed has developed

Don't over shake the grates, barely jiggle them every few days.

They to get a good solid even coal bed going and ur issues will go away
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

truecountry

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 07:54:42 PM »

Scott is right but also must add i throw small stuff in on coals to fill the gaps so bigger stuff has a cushion when loading and have raked coals before i did this ...I hate to just drop wood in or hear it hit fire box ...

Mountain Duck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 09:20:15 PM »

Thanks for the replies!  I think I am probably over thinking and over managing it. 

I have indeed had trouble getting a good coal bed developed. I was out of town last week for a couple days hunting.  My neighbor loaded it up every afternoon and didn't have any problems, so maybe that is indeed my problem.  I've been loading in the morning and evening, shaking the grates, stirring it around, pushing buttons, playing in the wood pile.......you know...enjoying my new toy!!   ;D

Scott I'm heating 3700 sf over a basement, cathedral ceilings with one heat exchanger in main level air handler.  Fairly new (1997).  Electric heat pump was pushing our bill around 500-800/month Nov-April.  It's the standard 10K also.

truecounrtry, I'm in SW Virginia. Its been pretty chilly lately. High was mid 30's today.  20 degrees right now.

Thanks again for the suggestions!  I'll keep you updated

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 10:45:55 PM »

I also only empty the ash pan every 2-3 weeks if not longer. I've also had success in closing the damper for the air intake some and that increased my burn times while lowering my Stack temps. The trade off is that the unit can run longer and not get as hot thus increasing the creosote buildup. Alot of this really has to do with the demand on the system and thats a constant changing thing and complicates it even more when the wood supply is all over with seasoned and green etc. I burn both, usually mixed.
Im also using a 10kE.
HeatMaster 10,000E

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 05:28:05 AM »

I'm 4 weeks into my 10,000E.  Only had fire go out once, and it was 100% my own fault.  I have stopped emptying the ash pan so often.  I'm trending towards Boydz' recommendation of longer times between emptying.  I was originally concerned about the ash blocking the air flow from the fan.  Doesn't seem to be a problem.  I've started loading my big whole rounds in the middle and my split stuff on the sides.  I haven't had much draw on my stove yet as it hasn't been super cold here in SW Indiana.  It seems to burn whatever I throw in there and no matter how I stack it.  Once you have a substantial coal bed, you shouldn't have a problem.  Get your coal be established with smaller pieces. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Mountain Duck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 07:09:13 AM »

I think I have been under loading and messing with it too much.  Went out this AM after it was 18 degrees.  It had just finished a cycle, and had a good, but small bed of hot coals.  I loaded it up with some smaller split hickory and cherry.  I loaded it up a little higher than the top of the door and up the sides, which is more than I typically do.  We'll see how that does.

Thanks for the replies!  They've been most helpful.

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 07:12:32 AM »

Yea your messing with it way to much, def don't shake that handle.  Only rarely do I do more than a jiggle, but u gotta put the wood to it so you'll get a coal bed, once you do it will run better and more efficient
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 03:32:12 PM »

Oh, also,
If I am burning greener type wood, I usually over load it and place the new fresh stuff on the sides and push the stuff thats been in there to the middle. My theory is that the fresh stuff will have some time to dry out a little on the sidelines before it gets rolled to the middle where all the airflow is. So far so good. Never had it go out yet with a 12deg diff.
Is it right ? Heck if I know :D Seems to work.
HeatMaster 10,000E

truecountry

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 06:43:12 PM »

truecounrtry, I'm in SW Virginia. Its been pretty chilly lately. High was mid 30's today.  20 degrees right now.

Duck im also in Va South central Kerr lake ...Few degrees warmer here ...not much .
I stopped trying to improve anything about stove just let it do its job

birchbark

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 07:44:44 AM »

I had the same problem when I first got my 10000e, I had believe that is was getting chocked out in between burn cycles, so I took off the blower motor and where the flap is that opens when the fan kicks in, I put a small 1/8" spacer to keep a bit of air flowing in.  I believe I use just a small piece of a fridge magnet.   I know some people are going to throw out warnings of the fire running away and boiling the water, but it worked fine for me and is still working.  So after doing this I ran into my local dealer and mentioned that I had to do this and he said that after the seals break in the will start to leak a little and that I could probably take that spacer out.  I am on the second year of burning have just left the spacer in, I have my stove set a 178 with 10 degree diff, and the temp overshoot at the most has been 182.

Mountain Duck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »

Hey everybody, thanks for all the helpful replies.  I've loaded it up with a lot more wood, and it seems to be doing better. Will know a little more as it is supposed to warm up a little.

truecountry, my wife has some family down around South Hill.  She's originally from Danville.  One of my college roommates is from Buffalo Junction.  Interestingly enough, it was at his place that I saw my first ever outdoor boiler (mid 90's).  Blew my mind that you could heat your house with this little out building looking thing!

Thanks again!

truecountry

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 07:35:56 PM »

Hey everybody, thanks for all the helpful replies.  I've loaded it up with a lot more wood, and it seems to be doing better. Will know a little more as it is supposed to warm up a little.

truecountry, my wife has some family down around South Hill.  She's originally from Danville.  One of my college roommates is from Buffalo Junction.  Interestingly enough, it was at his place that I saw my first ever outdoor boiler (mid 90's).  Blew my mind that you could heat your house with this little out building looking thing!

Thanks again!
Your welcome bro everyone here will be more and willing to help ...
My wife was born and rasied in Clarksville so we live on lake..Near Bluestone....Good luck and I know you will save money I have

Mountain Duck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 07:00:03 AM »

Just an update........... we're cooking now!!  Got a good bed of coals developed, and she hasn't missed a beat, even on the milder days.   Thanks for the tips!   :thumbup:
Pages: [1] 2