Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Whole house Humidifier  (Read 3125 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Whole house Humidifier
« on: January 30, 2016, 09:24:46 AM »

I have a forced hot air system in the house. Every winter around this time the humidity really drops down and the house feels cold even though I run it at 70 during the day and 66 at night. The humidity level on my little indoor thermometer says 20% humidity. I looked up what that equals for a 'Real Feel' or Heat index and at 70 degrees that feels like 66-68 and at 66 it feels like 62-63 so its not wonder why it feels chilly in the house even when warm. My question is does anyone have any thoughts on whole house humidifiers that run off the forced hot air system and any suggestions on a good model?

robertj1

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb 325
    • View Profile
Re: Whole house Humidifier
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:03:55 AM »

I hooked up a mister mini. Installed in duct work after heat exchanger. Also hooked it up to my RO water so I wouldn't send softener water (un treated lime and salt) into duct work. Only turns on when fan runs. Needs at least 50psi water pressure to mist water or the water will pool in duct work won't vaporize in the air stream quick enough.

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 10:05:01 AM »

I have one.  I leave the thermostat at 73 and the whole house keeps the humidity around 38-41 percent.  I have it set to aim for 50 percent but the furnace isn't running enough to get it that high (I have the house super insulated and air tight).

Everyone has a different one.  I don't remember my model off the top of my head since my HVAC guy did it when he did the whole system when we built the house. 

I don't think they're that hard to install yourself but I prefer paying an expert on something like that.  I highly recommend getting one.  20% is just way too low.

----------------
U.P. of Michigan

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:50:52 AM »

I’m running an Autoflo S2020 steam humidifier, it’s hooked up in such a way that if the house is still calling for humidity the fan keeps running after the call for heat, so if the typical install on your heat exchanger you’ll either need a diverting valve or set it up as a secondary loop so you don’t overheat the house on a call for humidity.

Works good though, can keep this old farm house as high as you want, I’ve had it set at 50% before but then the old single panes that we haven’t changed out yet really sweat, the double panes are fine though. Really saves your trim work and furniture as well.

You can shop around more but the last I seen Supplyhouse was the cheapest.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/EWC-S2020-S2020-Steam-Humidifier-220-VAC
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:53:15 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 12:30:37 PM »

Mlappin, that is one hell of a humidifier! I wasn't looking to spend that much hopefully. I was looking to spend in the $250 range for a good one. The Field controls certainly looks like a good one but Im just not willing to spend that much money just to get the humidity up in the house to a more comfortable level.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 03:57:43 PM »

Go to Walmart and get the old free standing ones, moisture will flow with the air currents in the house.
Western Maine

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »

Or just go with the huge jar of Vaseline near the bed to coat your lips and nose.   :thumbup:

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 10:53:07 PM »

I put in a Honeywell. It was pretty easy to install and makes a big difference. I went with a cheap model and probably would have spent the extra for a steam model if I were doing it again. The regular type run tons of water down the drain.

I hooked it up to the hot water which is supposed to help get more humidity into the air. It makes the water in the water heater quite hot since I have a plate HX before the tank.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 10:55:10 PM »

Go to Walmart and get the old free standing ones, moisture will flow with the air currents in the house.

Mlappin, that is one hell of a humidifier! I wasn't looking to spend that much hopefully. I was looking to spend in the $250 range for a good one. The Field controls certainly looks like a good one but Im just not willing to spend that much money just to get the humidity up in the house to a more comfortable level.

We had a free standing one, on high if you could stand to listen to it, eventually it’d catch up with the house, IF you could carry enough water to it. Some one once told me you can get a free standing one and run a water line to it much like for an ice maker in a refrigerator, personally I’ve never seen one, but I’m sure it could be done.

My wife gets expensive at times, trips to the UK to visit her moms side of the family, yearly trips to The Heart Center at St. Vincents in Indianapolis, every six months a trip to the Electrophysiologist to get her AICD checked, a special modem so the bedside unit can upload data from the AICD to St. Judes every night, and a $800 humidifier, lucky for her she’s a damn fine cook. Had Gyro’s tonight and onion and mushroom chicken breasts for lunch.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 11:05:52 PM »

Honeywell or Aprilaire in a fan forced or bypass model are decent units. Easy to install and pretty effective at humidifying. I have a fan forced Aprilaire and it isn't too bad on water consumption. 
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 12:38:39 PM »

I have an Aprilaire and it works very well.  Like someone else said to do it over again I'd go with a steam unit.  If you use a steam unit make sure you do a water test FIRST to see what you have for minerals.  Some of the units/manufactures are very fussy about water quality.  Trust me I've been down the wrong road before.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 01:31:17 PM »

I have an Aprilaire and it works very well.  Like someone else said to do it over again I'd go with a steam unit.  If you use a steam unit make sure you do a water test FIRST to see what you have for minerals.  Some of the units/manufactures are very fussy about water quality.  Trust me I've been down the wrong road before.

You can pick up softener cartridges from Supplyhouse that go right in the 1/4” poly feed line.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 02:23:34 PM »

As I recall, the issue involved the conductivity of the water in order to generate steam.  I finally had the manufacturer contact the water test lab as it was easier for them to talk the same language .

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 02:58:42 PM »

As I recall, the issue involved the conductivity of the water in order to generate steam.  I finally had the manufacturer contact the water test lab as it was easier for them to talk the same language .

Really? You’d figure water would steam no matter what, I’d figure the wrong minerals would either eat the heating element or just cake on it so fast it would overheat and burn out.

Our water is especially hard though, like 35 grains if I remember right, I think it was on this site I’ve heard people saying they had 150 grains or more.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120