Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: anyone with a carport for a wood shed?  (Read 14027 times)

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
Re: anyone with a carport for a wood shed?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 06:13:04 AM »

That's what we are for, giving you just enough information to ask a lot more questions. :-\ Really, though, it's all about being informed about all the possibilities and planning. The better informed, the better.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 02:43:23 PM »

This one was across the road from my dad's house. There were several in the area collapsed from the snow. Make yourself a snow rake to be safe.

Yah, never trust the claims by the manufacturer, minimal at best. Better  to be safe than sorry. :bash:
Now looking at those pics I would have to say the integrity of the building was comprimised.I don't think they installed or correctly installed the tie down anchors.Seeing the black top drive they either didn't use them or they pulled right up through the drive.I would say if the bottom had stayed the roof would not have buckled.Those carports need the base securely anchored to give the roof struture strength to support the snow load.
Looks like the snow has melted some.What was the amount of snow accumulation?
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »

Also they dont have anything to strenghthen where it curves to meet side walls that would have also helped the sides to stay where they were.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 03:21:30 PM »

Also they dont have anything to strenghthen where it curves to meet side walls that would have also helped the sides to stay where they were.
I agree ,but with it placed on black top the bottom would just slip right out.I imagine even with tie straps at the tube radius it still would have failed.The leverage from the side legs would over come the reiforcment of the tie straps.probably would have just collapsed at that point and at the peak.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »

You ain't whistling dixie jackel!

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »

Hey! jackel looked at my car port today and saw bent collar ties TWO OF THEM! My wife thinks they were there last year but I dont remember. This year we had alot more weight in snow load and ice now I will be looking in at it alittle closer next year but in my mind there is a problem with those sheets running horizontally never thought about it until mentioned here.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 06:45:15 PM »

It costs more to run them verticaly due to more framing material.That's why you can get one so cheap.Your right that is the design flaw in these suckers.But if you can manage the snow load or don't have too wide of an building ,and its installed right they seem to be ok.
I think for a temporary wood shed it will be fine for me.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 10:59:06 PM »

yeah! mine is almost 24' wide and 28' long and to boot it has 8' high clearance on sides. I been looking at the standard 7' and where they bend at radius they were reinforced with a shorter brace than I have so I'm going to call up and see if they will give me an extra ten braces to shore it up better myself.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »

I saw a car port today that apparently almost failed this past winter with all the snow on it.  They used the jacks that hold the floor joists up in your basement to support the center of the car port.  Neat idea, but I woulda just used some black pipe cut to length.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 03:08:27 PM »

I saw a car port today that apparently almost failed this past winter with all the snow on it.  They used the jacks that hold the floor joists up in your basement to support the center of the car port.  Neat idea, but I woulda just used some black pipe cut to length.
That isn't a bad idea in a pinch.I have thought about buying a set of those to use under my 2 post car lift to stabalize big trucks when I'm under there jerking on a big breaker bar.Cheaper than the "special" ones you can buy for the same purpose.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

dirtryder

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 08:10:50 AM »

I put up a 18' X 21' carport and love it. I had an extra foot height and end eves put in as extras. Was about $1,100 installed. I was going to build a 12' X 20' lean-to type wood shed from PT and standard wood with a tin roof. My buddy is a union carpenter and for some beers and my manual labor, he would have built it for me. After some discussion and figuring, he was the one who told me to go with a carport. It was actually about the same amount of money and "we" got to sit and drink cold Molson's while "they" put up the car port. I fill it about 3/4 full @ about 6' high.....around 13 cords or so.....all nice and dry ;). I have tarps as sides so all summer (unless we are getting a Nor'easter or something) all 4 sides are rolled up and bungeed to the roof open to the wind. During the winter months, I just leave the tarps down to keep snow and leaves out. It is no where's near a tight fit so it still "breathes" while the tarps are down.  I'm not that great with a camera but I'll try and get some pics of it.

OK, here's a pic....

dirtryder

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 08:15:05 AM »

And the inside....

There are 3 rows deep with wood, 20 foot long, 6 foot high, all wood 22" to 24"
pics never seem the same as what's there.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:17:23 AM by dirtryder »

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »

And the inside....

There are 3 rows deep with wood, 20 foot long, 6 foot high, all wood 22" to 24"
pics never seem the same as what's there.
Thats pretty much exactly what I want to do. ;)
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: 1 [2]