Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Leaking water to air hx  (Read 1858 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Leaking water to air hx
« on: November 03, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »

The other day I get a call from my wife that something sounds like grinding gears in the basement and no heat. So I have to leave work and figure it out. I found an air locked pump and zero pressure in the indoor boiler side of the system. I figured that one of my air vents had gone bad and was sucking air into the system since I saw no water leaked out anywhere. I refilled the system which I though took a lot of water and purged the pump. All was good until this morning when I went downstairs to check the pressure before work. It was down to 15 psi from 20 psi and there was a puddle under my hydro air box. So I took the cover off the hydro box but can't really see any of
The Coil without taking the box apart. The lines hooked up to the coil from the indoor boiler side are not leaking when they go into the box so it must be a leak in the coil. The coil was bought in 2011 so it has 5 heating seasons on it. Has anyone had one spring a leak? I can only imagine that it's a bad solder joint from manufacturing. It is supposedly has a "lifetime warranty" from the seller. Hopefully they will take car of that.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Leaking water to air hx
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 11:04:55 AM »

They are very thin copper and prone to leaks, take it out and you may be able to solder it again.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 06:12:10 PM »

Update on the leak. I had one solder joint on th coil itself that was actively leaking, 3 other spots that looked like they had leaked at some point in the past. Big shout out to outdoor furnace supply for standing behind their warranty. They have a "lifetime warranty" on their water to air hxs. I bought mine in 2011. When this started leaking I called and just ordered another from them and figured we'd hash out the warranty claim after I got the system all squared away. I emailed ofs pics and an  explanation of what was going on. They got right back to me and told me they would honor the warranty if I shipped the old one back. They sent me a return shipping label and I threw the old one right back in the box the new one came in. They were also very prompt to ship the new one to me. I ordered it Thursday morning and I got t Saturday morning at 9am. Only bummer on the whole ordeal was that the new hx was exactly the same dimensions but the pipes where they attach the supply and return were in different  spots which caused me to have to cut ad resolder piping and cut new holes in my hydro air box.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:11:23 PM by hondaracer2oo4 »

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 09:11:42 PM »

:post:
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor