Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Vegetable oil might save your night  (Read 2353 times)

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Vegetable oil might save your night
« on: January 02, 2018, 11:32:05 PM »

I believe I posted this in the past.  I don't have access to motor oil and would rather not use it to help boost a fire.  Burning vegetable oil is clean and burns very hot.  My recently wood delivery was suppose to by dry wood, but it seems it's all underseasoned oak.  In most conditions my conventional boiler can handle a little green wood but with the cold temperatures and constant demand for heat from the house.  I'm left with coating logs with the cheapest cooking oil I can find.  With a good coating and a few cup fills of oil tossed on the fire I'm amazed how quickly the steam rolls out of the wood.  Keep the door open for a bit... and you a have roaring flames ... fu÷_÷ you winter new boss in town

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetable oil might save your night
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »

I'll admit I was the drain oil guy back in the day when I had to light my boiler every day, usually twice, because it was too small. I went on vacation a few years back and had my dad feeding my boiler while I was gone. Came home to find a big jug of something next to the boiler so I asked him about it and it was vegetable or peanut oil, can't remember, from a friend of his who owns a gas station with a kitchen. Leftover fryer oil. I used it for the rest of the winter until I got a new boiler and it was FAR better at starting fire than motor oil. Almost scary flammable like gas but stuck to the wood like oil. Really good stuff. A year and a half later I still have that jug but have not once needed it to light my new boiler. Updraft is awesome for lighting!

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 05:48:50 PM »

I can believe veggie oil, especially used fryer oil lights easier than old motor oil, take it from a guy who has a LOT of time in converting a fuel oil gun into a waste oil gun, warm oil still doesn’t ignite that well, let it get cold and forget it. This little project of mine would probably have been a lot easier if it was in a shop that never got below 60.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:02:47 PM »

I can believe veggie oil, especially used fryer oil lights easier than old motor oil, take it from a guy who has a LOT of time in converting a fuel oil gun into a waste oil gun, warm oil still doesn’t ignite that well, let it get cold and forget it. This little project of mine would probably have been a lot easier if it was in a shop that never got below 60.

Have you tried running vegetable oil in a waste oil heater? I have and it was really hard to get it to burn. Waste motor oil was way easier. You need to get the vegetable oil much hotter to get it to ignite and keep burning.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 10:05:24 PM »

All the preppers jump on used veggie oil around here to practice making their own bio diesel for when Trump finally pisses the wrong people off on Twitter.

Depends on what the veggie oil is. We used to have an old drunk in the area, say what you will about him, but he had a elephant ear truck, might of had to drag it to the next place, but he had the absolute best elephant ears. He might have drank most of his money away, but one thing he wouldn’t do is use cheap oil, don’t recall if it was peanut, or safflower or what, but it had one of the highest scorch and flash points of any cooking oil. But this allowed him to run his deep fryer hotter than most others so they didn’t absorb so much oil when first dropping the dough in.

The designer of the kit I bought actually said to burn veggie oil the preheater block needs turned up to like 210 degrees and you can expect to clean it weekly.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:11:05 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 12:17:34 PM »

I can get all the 5 gal jugs of fryer oil all day long ...well till March/April, as every bearbaiter grabs them, I may take a few and just dump on my firewood
Stack....a bear may come along and I could help him into the frezzer as sausage !  Win win !