Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A reminder  (Read 4257 times)

CRJR

• View Profile
A reminder
« on: March 01, 2016, 11:22:42 AM »

A little reminder of why not to put your boiler in a building and then blaming the manufacturer . Pure ignorance and stupidity of the owner not manufacturer or installer. Granted the installer should've advise against it but still not his fault in my opinion. I hope the video Play's.

https://youtu.be/q5aJIzsja6s
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:25:38 AM by CRJR »

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: A reminder
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 11:33:20 AM »

So the homeowner doesn’t have insurance? If the insurance won’t pay did the homeowner check with the insurance company to see if the indoor install was okay?

$125,000 for the stove and wood shed??

They had to have something else attached to the wood shed and lost that building as well?

A friend lost a hoop building full of hay to fire last summer, the one right next to it also caught.

He put up two more, far enough apart to make sure if it ever happens again they both won’t go.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:54:56 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:54:42 AM »

I've spoken with Heatmaster about this video.   There is a ton of half-truths in this video.  Lot's of one-sidedness.  If you'll notice, his comments are disabled as well.  He made a stupid decision and tried to blame Heatmaster.  When they didn't do what he wanted, he made a propaganda video. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 11:56:22 AM »

I've spoken with Heatmaster about this video.   There is a ton of half-truths in this video.  Lot's of one-sidedness.  If you'll notice, his comments are disabled as well.  He made a stupid decision and tried to blame Heatmaster.  When they didn't do what he wanted, he made a propaganda video.

I usually ignore videos with the comments disabled, most likely they already caught a lot of flack over the video so disabled comments. Or deleted the original then reposted it with comments disabled.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »

I know about this situation. It's not like it sounds. The stove was not installed by Greg. Greg was never in the house. The owner had contracted the house and setup with contractor and was not present enough at construction to know who did what and had a caretaker taking care of the fire. The fire appears to have started under the stove and was operational error. $125,000? Insurance? Lot of stuff doesn't make sense, sounds like extortion. However outdoor stoves need to outside. They are steel and water, the only way you can burn one up is get your fuel too close and have an problem.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »

I know about this situation. It's not like it sounds. The stove was not installed by Greg. Greg was never in the house. The owner had contracted the house and setup with contractor and was not present enough at construction to know who did what and had a caretaker taking care of the fire. The fire appears to have started under the stove and was operational error. $125,000? Insurance? Lot of stuff doesn't make sense, sounds like extortion. However outdoor stoves need to outside. They are steel and water, the only way you can burn one up is get your fuel too close and have an problem.

I wondered if maybe somebody removed ashes or something and left a coal lying around.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 03:04:59 PM »

Exactly! That easy to do and it appears that is what happened.
 Gettin' old and lazy

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 05:08:06 PM »

I don't think this post should be up ! It's just a bashing thread we don't need it on here
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 08:40:44 PM »

I don't think this post should be up ! It's just a bashing thread we don't need it on here

Possibly, but its also an excellent reminder of why a Outdoor Wood Boiler is exactly that, an OUTDOOR wood boiler.

If you insist on enclosing it, then be VERY careful about any stray embers/sparks flying around and also be careful with your ashes.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 09:24:02 PM »

my home made stove is installed in an outbuilding has been since I first built one in 2002-3 winter season
to me both the building and the stove are replaceable and neither are insured. I like having about a half years wood indoors and dry. I like being out of the elements to load the stove. I keep half my wood inside and half outside and burn from the outside pile as long as the weather is decent enough and the snow has not covered my pile. when the weather is bad I use the indoor wood. If I was to have the price of a new gasser in a stove I may not have put it inside but I don't, so I do.
It is important to make sure that the floor is clean around the stove and if a coal gets out the door you scoop it back up and it is always a good idea to look back and make sure the door is closed before you exit the building
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 04:13:35 AM »

What willieG is saying is true, as an owner we may choose to take a risk in exchange for the benefit. Then we need to take responsibility. But as an installer we try to make sure we don't take on undue liability. I hesitate to do any maintenance and repair to any outdoor furnace inside a building as any accident may be placed back on the last person that indicated the furnace was in operational condition. And never install a unit inside a building. A sale is not worth the risk to me. I have been asked by an insurance company more than once what was the cause of the fire. Don't ask me to lie. But if you want the building , take the responsibility for safe operation, liability for accidents and assume their could be a malfunction in the stove itself. I have went back to a costumer and found a building with stove, chainsaws, gas, tools, lawnmowers and even tractor and farm equipment in the same building. More risk than I want to be close to.
 Gettin' old and lazy

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 06:06:21 PM »

I built a shed for my boiler and too hold four cords, I was aware at what could have happened, no way I would have gone back to the OUTDOOR wood boiler manufacturer if something would have happened.
My homeowners insurance guy thought it was a good idea, I looked at him dumbfounded.
Western Maine

farmboythegreat

• OWF Brand: freisen
  • OWF Model: 33hd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 06:37:53 PM »

125 grand ??? was the fricking thing gold plated ???
Muir Ontario Canada

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 10:39:35 PM »

My G400 is about 1/3 inside my shed and 2/3 outside. All steel shed (carport style only with squared off corners), cement floor, 2 roll up doors to load firewood and firewood kept at proper distance from boiler. Ashes kept in steel garbage can and allowed to cool before disposal. 

Shed holds almost a years worth of wood (average year) and is kept dry and out of the weather. Yes, you need to use your head and always ask what if?
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 06:35:52 AM »

I plan on placing a roof over mine eventually, and just a roof, four open sides and steel shingles. Barn tin on each end to close in the rafters and underneath on the ceiling, then will borrow my uncles 8 foot flashing brake to wrap the poles or cover any exposed wood.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Pages: [1] 2