Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Heatmor base question ( time worp )  (Read 8657 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Re: Heatmor base question ( time worp )
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 03:20:26 AM »

you will have to thread a well in as well for the old style....the new high limit sensors are actually submerged in water.....i guess they had a problem on some of the units with the old style high limit switch tripping off the ambien temperature of rear access area (god knows it can get hot in there). so they switch to this new style...which is pinpoint accurate, but a pain in the but to change....if it does trip out tho, it is suppose to automatically reset after the water temp drops below 195....mine actually arced out, it was just a defective one....the first reported one to them so far.

Fredward

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 400CSS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 12:55:52 PM »

Heat550,
How did you separate the tank from the base? I've got a 15 year old 400DSS (sn3513) that is starting to leak. I was thinking of taking it apart to fix it.
Fredward

heat550

• OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 02:02:13 AM »

you will have to thread a well in as well for the old style....the new high limit sensors are actually submerged in water.....i guess they had a problem on some of the units with the old style high limit switch tripping off the ambien temperature of rear access area (god knows it can get hot in there). so they switch to this new style...which is pinpoint accurate, but a pain in the but to change....if it does trip out tho, it is suppose to automatically reset after the water temp drops below 195....mine actually arced out, it was just a defective one....the first reported one to them so far.

Im still deciding $113 for old style and well . I don't like that needs draining down to change . But its probably more accurate like you say .  old style I could adjust a bit also . hmmm

heat550

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 02:37:04 AM »

my new one should be here soon....i dont think i will drain and hook it up until spring...i dont want to have to buy more boiler treatment.....blahhhhhhhhhh

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 01:31:22 AM »

Heat,

Just and FYI....my high limit controller arced out lastnight on my new 400....i went to load before bed and i had no power to the stove....i went into the barn and the breaker was flipped. SO i went back out and started peaking around...the water temp was at 178 and the stove was fine (no evidence of water on the roof, sides or ground from a boiler over). I opened the back panel and i could smell something had been torched....sure enough that new high limit gauge was black on one side and you could see a nice size arc flash mark.....so for now i had to just disconnect it...gonna call today and im hoping they will just send me a new one right away. Only problem is you have to drain the tank down past that gauge to put a new one on.

Just figured i would share. I dont know why it happened. The unit has been running pretty flawless for the past 3 weeks.

Ask dealer if electronic end where wire are . If its changeable there's a alan set screw on the side where wrench goes . I had mine apart and it has a well .

Heat550

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 03:12:22 AM »

Heat550,
How did you separate the tank from the base? I've got a 15 year old 400DSS (sn3513) that is starting to leak. I was thinking of taking it apart to fix it.
Fredward

Yes all you can do is take it apart and see whats going on . its only way to fix it right .  But mine was 19 years of firing .
after figuring it out mine was really a 1994 model but they sold it to me in 1996 . they had some issues with bends in the early years .
Hopefully my new 400 doesn't have these goofy issues .  :bag:

Heat550

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 09:30:07 AM »

my new one should be here soon....i dont think i will drain and hook it up until spring...i dont want to have to buy more boiler treatment.....blahhhhhhhhhh

Get yourself a clean plastic barrel or two, drain into the barrels using a puddle pump if required, or ones can be had that a garden hose connects to each side and use that, when your done pump the water back in.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 01:53:06 AM »

Get yourself a clean plastic barrel or two, drain into the barrels using a puddle pump if required, or ones can be had that a garden hose connects to each side and use that, when your done pump the water back in.

Ag places have nice clean barrels 55 gallon  plastic $5 ones I got had tit dip in there ya plastic was orange but it was clean as a whistle.
I hit with pressure washer there spotless .  Ag place like where they sell bulk stuff for milking cows they normally have a bunch of them . 

Heat550

lindnova

• OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
Re: Heatmor base question ( time worp ) hero
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 12:27:45 PM »

I ask this question because anyone that has a heatmor before 1999 its got a mild steel base . So what happens
base rusts and causes base  tank gasket failure and you will be leaking air and you get a crack in your tank .
and no its not the 409 stainless steels fault its base gasket leaking air making hot and cold spots and stainless will crack and slowly weep water out . So If you do have one and you think ooo its fine . just take tin off sides look behind insulation .
look at the seams between tank and base you see rust . Might want to replace that gasket . Mine looked ok only bit of rust and took tank off and ya scary ridge where gasket is all rusted out inside . Where the most rust was is where tank leaked .
look at picture :) front right corner all rust orange spot is where tank has pin hole . look how close gasket and rust ridge is yep thats where pin hole is . These are my findings . goal is to let others with old heatmors know hey if I replace that gasket . It will give alot longer life . and $7000 for a new one kinda cuts in to the piggy bank .:) aka project long life heatmor  . After 1999 they had a stainless steel base . This leaves 6 year window for the above problem . 1994 were the first year of stainless tanks . 1999 was first year of stainless bases .  :bag:

Heat550

Picture below is 1994 base installed in 1996:)

second picture is after I took sand out and cleaned off gasket surface .  :bag:

Looks like your grates are in good shape.  Mine are majorly warped and have been for a few years. 
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader

heat550

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 04:02:04 AM »

Just update about lower half of heatmors . On new 400dcss (2015 ) I have they put  a angel iron to keep the base flange from twisting when you tighten them together with the gasket . This will be added to my old 200css (1994) when I get it fixed . I will post a picture later . But its a bigger deal then I thought at first .  :thumbup:

Heat550
Pages: 1 [2]