Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rather productive day, or nice not having to worry about frostbite while wiring  (Read 3027 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions

Added three more grain bins last fall, wired the first two when frostbite was a very real possibility as I've yet to find a pair of gloves I can wear while doing electrical work.

Got this one done today, not my best work, have to get a bunch of corn hauled Friday so I was rather rushed, usually the insides of my boxes are more tidy. Later on I'll get the mini zip straps and clean it up a bit. Finished by the light of the Polaris, have to run to the hardware store in the AM as I made a run to Lowes today to pick a few things up and they didn't have the right all weather covers for the last two receps.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile

Knowing the conditions you had to work around, that came out great.  Will you be able to show another pic after everything is tidied up for comparison?  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com

I like the way you wire the box, Extra wire, color coding etc. My brother once sold me an old C-60 dump truck that he had rewired when he changed the cab, he used all blue wire for hot wires to extra lights and such, Try to diagnose that and then find out the wire you need to fix is 1/2 inch to short!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions

Working with three phase Delta so the color coding is somewhat required for at least the neutral/wild leg. I also like to use different colored wire for each leg though so if you drop a leg somewhere it's a lot easier to track down. A person can use tape to mark em, different colored wires all cost the same per roll anyways.

Older Internationals used all black wires with little numbers printed on them, nice when new I suppose not so nice three or four decades later when the numbers fade.

Actually have one more circuit to add to the breaker box as well for the aeration fan, they included a starting circuit in the box on the fan, but no overload protection :-[ If you're going to the trouble why not use a magnetic starter with overload protection built in?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:13:18 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions

Knowing the conditions you had to work around, that came out great.  Will you be able to show another pic after everything is tidied up for comparison?  Roger

May take awhile, haul corn today, hopefully get back to planting this weekend and finish up, start making hay soon as the weathers fit, should get done with the haymaking towards the end of September.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com

Got er done!

Neal
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions

Got er done!

Neal

Didn't quite get done, but not for a lack of trying. Had to install the last breaker box into a existing line this morning so I could tie in the new bin. Had to load both the sprayer and planter supply tankers first before I could cut power, shouldn't have took that long, but with 18" left in the one 2500 gallon tank the pump lost prime. Got a squeeze bottle with soap suds, found the where it was sucking air, got it sealed, then it lost prime again with 8" left in the tank, turns out the 90 on the inside of the tank had moved and was pointing sideways instead of down, a long 2x4 with a nail in the end convinced the elbow to turn.

For Slimjim, a pretty picture of wire with no blue.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:40:57 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com

Nothing wrong with blue as long as it's not the only color used!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile

My hat off to you farmers  you guys work 24/7 and do your own repairs toughest job out there!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions

Pictures of the control box i rigged up for the grain leg years and years ago. Has a speed monitor as well, if the bucket belt slows down by 5 rpm it kills the grain flow to the leg then shuts the leg off ten seconds later, overloads are also set up the same way so leg has a chance to clean itself out before shutdown. Press the green start button and hold, once belt is up to speed button lights up, good to go. Also has a electric eye in the 300 bushel dump pit, pull up, dump corn, pit starts, drive away and pit shuts it self off when empty. Also monitors a 1000 bushel surge tank that feeds a pneumatic grain mover, if that gets full it shuts the pit down for five minutes while the grain mover catches up. Top buttons controls the speed on a Reeves Motodrive that runs the pit auger. All parts was stuff I had laying around, came from Ebay or a supply house in the next town over that sells used electrical stuff.

Still haven't had time for tidying up the other.

https://picasaweb.google.com/112657170812903512327/MartySProjects?authuser=0&feat=directlink
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:03:09 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120