Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Are people afraid of work?  (Read 9277 times)

gspren

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML 30
    • View Profile
Re: Are people afraid of work?
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 06:15:35 AM »

Like Roger's dad I worked as an experimental machinist (Army Research Laboratory) while living on a farm. I just retired in August and last year when I bought my OWB several co workers asked why buy it now when I'm getting older and I said it's because now I have more time to cut and split. I am not spending all my time in a recliner!
Gary
Portage & Main ML30
Stihl 261
Stihl 044 (15 years old)
Stihl 041 (30 years old)
Yamaha Kodiak 4 Wheeler
John Deere 2355 4x4 loader tractor
70 acres (23 wooded)

oldchenowth

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »

I think the title of this thread speaks volumes.  I truly believe that our culture is actually afraid of honest hard work.  Even if it benefits them personally many fold.  Like you said Gary, it keeps you off the recliner.  I'll bet you outlive most of your colleagues just by keeping active and your not wasting your pension on oil or gas literally going up the chimney.  Makes me proud I was raised by farmers.

Thanks Grandpa.  Should have told him that when he was alive.

BIGDIESEL20S

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 07:01:40 AM »

Makes me proud I was raised by farmers.

Thanks Grandpa.  Should have told him that when he was alive.

I will fully 2nd this. And I too should have gave more thanks to those who helped to make me who I am today, when I had the chance.
2002 F250 SUPER DUTY 4X4
1994 CHEVROLET S-10 4X4
HOME MADE 20 TON SPLITER
STIHL: 009, 011, MS250, 026, MS260, 028 SUPER,  028FARMBOSS, 029 SUPER, 031, 031 SUPER, 066.
176 ACERS HALF WOODS
HOME MADE PICKUP BED TRAILER
801 FORD POWERMASTER
B414 ITERNATIONAL
H FARMALL

Neal

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 05:54:52 AM »

agree with all that was said.  I work in a machine shop and we recently had a young man quit because he didn't have enough time to spend with his wife/girlfriend and new baby.  Don't know what he is doing now, maybe sponging off the rest of us.  My wood pile keeps me busy all summer & fall  just getting ready for the winter.  I live alone so if the mortgage is to be paid and I want the house warm I have little choice but to work and save all I can. 
Stihl 038 AV super pro
Tractor mounted 3 point splitter,
1987 Steiner S-20 tractor, and many attachments

slosh250

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 08:19:41 PM »

I must have grown up in the wrong era then, being only 25 now working between school since 13. My dad always worked 50-60+ hours a week to make ends meet, guess its installed in my head. I love cutting wood, working even though my job isnt what i want to be doing it keep my 3 little kids with what they need. If i'm not working im on this site trying to learn more about my future OWB purchase. I have about 3 cord already cut split and stacked just farting around. Of course i try to make time for my family, wife says my hands are to rough and hard. But i wouldnt havent any other way. My satisfaction is putting in a hard day of work and being tired at bed time. May be wore out at 50 but i dont have time to be lazy in my eyes always trying to chase that dollar. Hoping to put my kids in college and maybe they wont have to work as hard as some of us have to. Good topic and it is a dying breed with just a handful trying to carry it on in the younger generations.

Rockarosa

• OWF Brand: Pro-Fab
  • OWF Model: Cozyburn MS 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »

I'm 59 years old now and still cutting wood for my OWB. It' really not work to me, I enjoy it. Lately I've been thinking about my Dad alot. He always told me that " you can play when the works done" I finally realized that the work is never done. Thanks Dad, I miss you!
New Holland T C 30

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »

Ya I hear you all, everyone things my owf is so much work, that is fine with me just call me when your tree falls more wood for me, I think that is why the pellet boilers cb sells are getting popular around here, I don' t mind the work makes me fell like I am living off the land
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO
Pages: 1 2 [3]