Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 5526 times)

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Newbie Questions
« on: December 21, 2008, 10:06:08 PM »

So this is my first couple of days using my 6048 Central Boiler.  I fill it with wood, leave the door open a while to get it going, and let the temp get to about 160 or so.  I shut the door and leave.  I come back in about an hour and it's up to 165.  Makes sense to me...

About 3-4 hours later, I come back and the temp is down to like 135.  I open the door and the wood is barely burnt...?  I think I checked and the damper setting was 185.  I can hear the door is open every time I come out there.  And I know it's open because I can see through it.
Is this working normal....?

What temp should it be at, I would think it would try to keep itself at the setting which I think was factory set at 185.  I'm using nice dry wood, but it's not split, some is about 12-15 inches around and most are cut to 12-24 inches long.

Hudson, WI

jon d

• View Profile
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:40:15 AM »

First day firing my boiler, i used very dry- small split pieces, no rounds. Continued this till a hot coal bed had developed. Then was able to burn full size split or unsplit wood. Boiler temp will fall to @10 degrees below setpoint before damper opens. With a good hot coal/ash bed in boiler u should have no problems.. good luck!! keep us informed..
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »

That might have been it.  I came home from work today and the temp was up to 180.  Maybe the bed of coals is what I needed.  After all... It's only been going for less than 48 hours or so... ::)
Hudson, WI