Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Happy or not?????  (Read 11834 times)

jon d

• View Profile
Happy or not?????
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:27:15 AM »

Wondering if any CB6048/5036 users are not happy?? Wood usage? Anyone filling more than twice daily. Pump or damper problems?  I'm pretty happy so far with no problems.
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: Happy or not?????
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »

I dont want to reply yet since I've been up and running for like 3 days, but I'm planning on filling morning, after work, and before bed.

You fill only twice daily?  How long have you had yours?
Hudson, WI

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »

First year burner. Started first of Nov. full time. Filling twice in very cold temp's(20-9 degrees)
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky

RUGERGUNZ

• Training Wheels
  • Central Boiler 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 03:37:47 AM »

I would say that I am EXTREMELY Happy so far!

I am running a CB 6048 heating a 2100sq.ft. Mobile Home.  The house is only about 4 years old and very well insulated.  Has a custom skirting (pressure treated plywood and a full stud wall covered with tyvek and siding.)

I started running mid-may to run DHW and learn how to run the boiler.  I heated all my hot water on trash wood, branches, scraps etc...

I add wood to the boiler twice a day.  But I could prob run close to 48 hrs on a full load before the fire would go out.  I only add 2-3 junk logs a day.

The wood I am burning is 6-7 years old, been laying on the ground and is mostly softwood. 

I am glad I got the bigger model so that I can burn longer runtimes if I need to.  Also glad I have the older model and not the E-Classic.  I doubt the E-Classic could burn the rubbish I go through.  This boiler has saved me from having lots of brush fires to get rid of brush, instead allowing me to burn it in the boiler and getting hot water out of the deal.

I would say I am Extremely Happy.

faulkner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 06:43:53 PM »

I have a classic 6048. Lit it sept 20. I have used about 4 - 5 cords. We have had a chilly winter in West Virginia this year. I heat a large old farm house not so well insulated and my wifes shop. I FILL the box twice a day during very cold windy days. Normal winter days I DO NOT fill the box but I still load twice per day. I have taken out 1 wheel barry full of ashes. The secret is stir the ashes daily or as much as possible. No water usage to speak of.

If you have property with woods. Another trick that I do is cut the trees and limb them (small limbs) where they fall. I hook to the tree and drag them to my pile or stack location and then cut to lenght. I like to cut 8-12" trees. I'm not real picky on what I cut. Heck, I may cut and drag all day and then pick a day and cut lenghts. Don't handle the wood more than you need too.

Keep burnin! Happy as a coon in a cornpatch.

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:41:10 PM »

faulkner, I'm about 1-cord behind ya at 3 1/2 here in Ky. I also am heating house and wife's shop. Got to keep them women  warm ya know.  :thumbup:   

jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 08:13:05 AM »

Faulkner, where in WV are ya?  I'm near Ripley.   

I cut my trees around the meadows here on the farm, and drag them to a central place easily accesible with the truck, trailer, splitter, etc.  (This is all hillside farms around this area, so ya can't be too picky about where ya drag them to,, just as long as they don't roll away.)   I get them all drug out,,,,,,, then start cutting.  Once they are cut, I get the splitter started and don't stop til they are all split.  Then I haul to the shed.  I used to drag them out by the shed to do it all, but I had a mess to clean up, and then had to carry it the rest of the way to the shed to stack it.  Now I load the trailer, and can back it in the shed and stack it as I unload it.  Pull the trailer forward and keep unloading. 

This year, I had 26 trees down when I started.  5 days later, it was all cut, split, and stacked in the shed.  7.4 cords.  It was a LONG 5 DAYS!! by myself.   My wife was out of town that week,,,, usually she is right there with me.  Hooking up the chain,, running the splitter,,, stacking wood,,,etc.  (good woman)

This years goal is to build a splitter instead of renting one.   :thumbup:  Any ideas or suggestions on building log splitters???????????
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 08:48:17 AM »

Mark,
Post some pictures of your home made stove,and your wood shed for the rest of us to see.
Thanks,
Ron
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

faulkner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 11:45:43 AM »

Faulkner, where in WV are ya?  I'm near Ripley.   

I cut my trees around the meadows here on the farm, and drag them to a central place easily accesible with the truck, trailer, splitter, etc.  (This is all hillside farms around this area, so ya can't be too picky about where ya drag them to,, just as long as they don't roll away.)   I get them all drug out,,,,,,, then start cutting.  Once they are cut, I get the splitter started and don't stop til they are all split.  Then I haul to the shed.  I used to drag them out by the shed to do it all, but I had a mess to clean up, and then had to carry it the rest of the way to the shed to stack it.  Now I load the trailer, and can back it in the shed and stack it as I unload it.  Pull the trailer forward and keep unloading. 

This year, I had 26 trees down when I started.  5 days later, it was all cut, split, and stacked in the shed.  7.4 cords.  It was a LONG 5 DAYS!! by myself.   My wife was out of town that week,,,, usually she is right there with me.  Hooking up the chain,, running the splitter,,, stacking wood,,,etc.  (good woman)

This years goal is to build a splitter instead of renting one.   :thumbup:  Any ideas or suggestions on building log splitters???????????

MarkP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 02:53:11 PM »

Hi Ron,,, here are a couple pics of the stove and shed.  The shed is 10 1/2' X 32', but I only use half of it for my wood.  It is wide enough that I can get my flat trailer in to stack the wood.  I use pallets on the ground to let air pass under it.  Hopefully, it helps it dry easier.  I stack it 6 ft. to 7 ft. high.  I've used just over 3 cord so far this winter, but the past 2-3 weeks have taken a big bite out of it.  We've had temps below 0 at night, and teens during the day, which is a bit unusual for our area. 

I built the stove in late summer.  I had never been around them before, but looked at one on display at our county fair.  Looked pretty simple, so with a little more reading, studying, scratching,, etc. I gave it a try.  The firebox is 24" wide, 28" tall, and 36" deep.  The water tank is 3 ft. wide X 4 ft. tall, X 5 ft. long.  This should compute to around 345 gallons when filled to capacity.  I see things now that I wish I had changed, and probably will this next summer.    Besides,,,,,,, building it gave me a good reason to buy ONE MORE WELDER,,,,,,,, Lincoln Pro Mig 180.

I have my aquastat on the back of the stove, and it is covered in insulaton.  Will there be a difference in accuracy with it covered in insulation vs. exposed to the weather as I see most have??   

*****I tried to post pics, but it says the files are too large.  Am I doing someting wrong??  I have them saved as a JPEG file @ 988KB each.  Suggestions?
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Le Roy, WV

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 07:18:41 PM »

Mark, if you look in the site suggestions section, you'll find a thread where I stated that I posted some pics in the gallery.  There's several posts discussing it, including a post from PhinPhan describing that the gallery is there in the first place for all of us to use.  His one post has a link to the gallery.  I just followed that link and didn't have any trouble at all, other than it took a long time to upload the pics because I'm on dial up.  We'd all really like to see your project.  :photo:
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

MarkP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 07:12:50 AM »

Hey Jason,  I went to the picture site, and created an album that is listed under "My gallery" , but when I click the "upload" button, it gives me a error message.  "Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files".  I tried to log out and back in, but nothing works so far.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Le Roy, WV

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 07:34:58 AM »

Huh.  That's odd.  I didn't have any trouble when I did it.  I'm not sure what to try, other than to plead for help from someone who knows what gthey are talking about.   ;DAny ideas, PhinPhan?
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

MarkP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 08:19:20 AM »

I'm not sure what the problem might be,,,,,,,,,,,, MAYBE ME?? 

I created an album.
I clicked on "Home"
I clicked on "My Gallery"
I clicked "Upload File"
and now I get the error again.

I will keep trying.  In the meantime, I will try to attach a couple pics of my stove here.  Once I am able to use the picture site, I will load more of it in the building stage.
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Le Roy, WV

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 08:39:07 AM »

Mark,

Nice workmanship.You can be proud of what you have made. Its always good to see what others have done.

Have you had any problems with the fan on the outside of the loading door not being covered?

Ron
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:43:08 AM by R W Ohio »
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06
Pages: [1] 2