Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Water Leaking From Fill Pipe  (Read 3312 times)

MO_Hunter

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: CS-4000
    • View Profile
Water Leaking From Fill Pipe
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »

I purchase a home with a HM SS CS-4000 already install and it has been used for about 6 years by past owner.  We have a valve inside the house that we turn on to fill the OWB with water.  It ran fine when we first started it up but after a couple of weeks my wife thought the bedrooms where not getting hot enough and we wondered if we need to add more water.  So I turned on the valve again and water started blowing out the pipe on the top so I turn it back off.

Since then every time we run the furnace water comes out of the small stack in low amounts but constant bases and has been doing so for the past 5 days.  I have turned the main water off at the house and the water stops coming out of the stack.  Once I turn it back on water starts again.

My guess is there is something wrong with the fill valve in the house and when the OWB is running it creates enough pressure to pull more water in to the tank keeping it at a overfilled level.

Anyone every have an issue like this?  I hope it is just the fill valve and nothing wrong with OWB.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Water Leaking From Fill Pipe
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »

you have to remember that the water in your stove will expand a little when it gets heated up and cause overflow if it was overfilled.  i am unfamilliar with your stove but after five days that does seem a little extreme (but maybe not, as i said i am not familliar with yoru brand) I will tell you this much, it is by far better to overfill your stove than to have it get too low. perhaps you should wait for  another owners opinion but the way it is (constantly over full) will not hurt to run it other than it may waste some wood
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

TM88

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 5000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:39:24 AM »

I would have to agree with willie I had the same experience with mine when I fired it up this spring where I had over filled mine. When it would get to the set point it would start running out of the fill tube where the water had expanded. Now at the lower end of my set point it shows about 3/4 full and at set point it shows full. I would leave the fill valve off and let it cycle for a few day's before I would tear into changing a valve out.

TM

duke

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:05:41 AM »

I top my stove off at the end of season, then at the begining of the next season it will overflow the first time i fire it up dur to water expanding.
06 Duramax
08 Polaris Ranger XP
MS 310
28 ton Swisher

lasor1

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster ss
  • OWF Model: Heatmaster mf 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 05:41:29 AM »

I'd say your fill valve is got some blockage and won't fully shut off you an try to work it a few times and see if that helps if its an old valve I would just replace it. If you have hard water it could be calcium buildup on valve. But I'd say that's your problem.