Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rear Draft Setting  (Read 10408 times)

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile
Rear Draft Setting
« on: December 10, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »

I have recently installed a 10,000E and am woindering where you guys are leaving the rear draft setting at ? I currently have it set at 100% but am woindering if it needs to be this much. Seems like ALOT of air is coming in quick. Ive got the unit set at 180 with a 10-15deg swing depending on how warm it is outside and what im burning for wood. Seems this late in the year im only able to scrounge up green wood.
Im heating an old farm house with very little insulation, a full shop in another building that pretty well insulated, and soon a tack room for the horse equipment so I want to make sure its being as efficient as possible.

Just thought I'd ask if anyones played with this :)

Thanks
-Ryan
HeatMaster 10,000E

yoderheating

• View Profile
Re: Rear Draft Setting
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »

Normally on a large furnace like the 10,000e I run them wide open. The idea behind the e models is to burn a hot fire which burns cleaner and then use the top bypass to cool down the exhaust before it leaves the furnace. If you start restricting the draft too much you will not get as clean a burn and then you could have more trouble with creosote. So especially when burning green wood I would recommend 100% open on the draft. 
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Boydz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 09:39:47 AM »

Thanks Yoder, I did try and move it to about 50% and it seems like it smokes more on recovery as it takes longer to get going again especailly with a large differential swing. Ill probably move it back to 100% tonight. It does seem to be using a bit less wood but I think your right about the creoste buildup being more with a cooler fire. I did recently have an episode where the draft door got stuck open for some reason after the solonoid released but I added a small weight to the door and its fine now. Not sure even why that happened since it didnt even feel sticky at all and there was nothing blocking it. It did creep up to about 210 deg -  :o

Do you have any idea why they eliminated the top air supply in the fire box on the newer HE models ? Mine only supplies air to the underside of the fire. I feel like theres efficiency to gain by trying to burn some of those gasses being pushed to the secondary chamber  ???

Still trying to figure this thing out 100%, but it's working great and the girls are loving the heat in the house LOL - Im dying even at 70deg since im used to 64deg all the time from burning Propane :)
HeatMaster 10,000E

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:47:16 PM »

The design of the top air draft caused some long term problem because on a few furnaces it allowed creosote to build up in the draft pipe. They eliminated it to make sure no one had any issues, not sure if they will bring it back at some point or not.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

kybaseball

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 01:51:15 PM »

I called them and they have sent me a kit to add the rear draft back to my MF10000E. I really like the air from the rear better as it get fire hotter faster and gives off less smoke. I received the kit today. It mounts all the way in the back so i will have wait and put this in later.

Boydz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »

Ky,

Does your 10,000E have the plug in the back where it used to attach ? Mine does and Im wonrdering if its worth it to try and get this installed again.
Probably wont help the smoke rolling oyut the door when i open it though :)
Id actually like to make a smoke bypass in the rear to channel the smoke to the secondary chamber when I open the door. Maybe spring loaded on the door or something !!

Anyhow, if you have any pics of what they sent you, that may help too.

Thanks !!
HeatMaster 10,000E

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »

You should install it I think..

As far as smoke out the door, you gotta learn your stove, once you know when the stove should be about out, there won't be anything left inside the stove capable or smoking much.

So don't over fill the box, if your able to check your stove every 14 hours, only give it enough wood to go that long, then when you go to the stove, the only thing that should be left is a bed of hot coals...  Once you get onto that, no more smoke out the door
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

kybaseball

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »

Sorry I have been away for a couple days. I will get some pictures of it in the morning and post them. I haven't installed it as you have to clean the stove out and i don't want to shut the stove down.
What little time I have been using the OWB I think Heatmaster should have sent these out over the summer so they could have been installed before the heating season started.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 08:44:29 PM »

Sorry I have been away for a couple days. I will get some pictures of it in the morning and post them. I haven't installed it as you have to clean the stove out and i don't want to shut the stove down.
What little time I have been using the OWB I think Heatmaster should have sent these out over the summer so they could have been installed before the heating season started.

I think they were testing different ones to see what worked best.  I'm not sure but I know there was some work going on with the kits
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

kybaseball

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »

Here are the pictures.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kybaseball

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 07:12:38 PM »

more pictures

[attachment deleted by admin]

kybaseball

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 07:14:30 PM »

Also my youngest wanted to show off his wood pile that is cutting a splitting himself.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 08:12:05 PM »

You better keep him around for a while lol
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

kybaseball

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »

Kid loves helping. I haven't had to load the firebox but a couple times all winter. I just watch him to make sure everything goes right. He is only 14 but already knows the value of heating with wood and will have his own later in life.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 08:32:21 PM »

Sounds good  :thumbup:
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: [1] 2