Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: G200...maybe.  (Read 3016 times)

narvik

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
G200...maybe.
« on: December 27, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »

Hello,
new member in need of some advice, and pricing.

We're looking at buying a OWB, possibly a G200. We're in Northeast PA.
I believe PA ONLY allows EPA certified furnaces? Is this correct?

Still a little confused about the "qualified", vs. "certified" thing. Apparently, of the ones I have been looking at, only the Heatmaster G200 is actually certified.
The other ones are 'only' qualified.

I am thinking of installing it myself.

Some questions:

How much does the G200 cost?
Can it handle green pine? Dead wood? Don't have any seasoned wood available yet!
Is there an alternative to the G200 that is approved for PA?

Existing heating: underfloor from LPG boiler & electric hot water
House size: ~3500 sqft
Garage & loft: ~1000 sqft (also underfloor heating)
Possible future addition: ~1500 sqft barn

All info much appreciated.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:46:04 AM by narvik »

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
Re: G200...maybe.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »

Welcome to the forum...Lots of good questions here. Yes PA requires EPA "Qualified" OWF's. An EPA "Certified" OWF is an "incorrect statement". As stated on the EPA website: http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/owhhlist.html
* The wood-burning appliances that are "qualified" under the EPA's Voluntary Hydronic Heater and Fireplace Programs are not "certified" per EPA's Wood Heater New Source Performance Standard.
On the EPA link above, you will find numerous options for your state that are qualified.
The G200 with just a 32" firebox and 140 gallons of water, sounds a bit small to try to heat 6,000 sq ft in a  Northeast PA climate.
Physically looking at various models and dealers is a good idea.
As an owner, I am personally partial to my success with the Eclassic gassifiers. Central Boiler had the first EPA qualified furnace "EPA listed on the EPA site in 2008" and has more gasification furnaces in use than any other company. Their current models have had many changes and improvements since that initial model and and are heating powerhouses with 3 different size EPA qualified models available. Don't go cheap and buy something undersize. Sounds like you intend to heat up to 6,000 sq ft of infloor heating. That is a lot of mass to initially heat up and you will need some btu output power to do it.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 08:45:01 PM »

The G200 would be a little small. I burned one several years ago heating my 1600sqft home and filled it once a day. I did burn some green pine and it did fairly well so long as I loaded it when there was still a lot of coals left in the firebox.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

narvik

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 03:10:38 AM »

Thanks very much for your replies.

Much appreciated.

I'll be checking out some larger units next.....

Probably won't be ready to buy until next season...well, hopefully BEFORE next wintery season starts!

Currently heating with ELECTRIC only...OUCH!!!!