Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: building a air handle for my owb  (Read 2950 times)

woodshaper67

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: aqua 2
    • View Profile
building a air handle for my owb
« on: December 29, 2012, 07:40:52 AM »

I have rebuilt an old aqua2 and now I am wanting to build the air handler. This will be built for my wood shop as the only source for heat. I am building with a heat exchanger and a fan below the heat exchanger. My question is this what electrical componets do I need? I want to use a regular low voltage thermostat , to control the fan and the circulator pump. The fan and pump are both 120v. I would like to have the pump come on first and delay the fan. the unit is a 100ft from my shop.
  It is my understanding that a lot of the units now the cirulator continuously with a vavle in the system that controls the water to the heat exchanger. I am open to suggestions on the design.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: building a air handle for my owb
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »

A fan center relay will be needed. If you want to delay the fan the best way is to just put a strap on aquastat on the line so the fan only runs when there is hot water being pumped.

I prefer to leave the pump running 24/7 though if any of the lines are in a non-heated area or if the shop can get anywhere close to freezing temp. Not much heat comes off the heat exchanger when the fan isn't running and you don't have to worry about it freezing.

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »

I have 5 set up in this manner.  Circulator pumps run 24/7 with 3-way zone valve at heat exchanger and a fan center relay.  The relay gives about a 30 second delay to the fan allowing the hot water to fill the HX before the blower kicks on.  Good setup for me.  I like how it works.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »

Hose clamps on the pex?  :o

woodshaper67

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: aqua 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 05:47:31 AM »

Thank you for the input.I will set the pump to 24/7 and I will more than likly put a 3 way valve in.I am looking into a honeywell fan relay ,I just have to figure out which one, and I will have to figure out how to wire it all.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 07:10:38 AM »

Hose clamps on the pex?  :o
may not be right but it works in places

i have a section where i use 3/4 wire reinforced radiator hose (for its flexibililty in a tight spot) i used a 1 inch to 3/4 galvinized hose bib...just warmed the end of the pex up with a propane torch and the bib slipped right in...applied hose clamp and it has been good for over ten years
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »

LOL on the hose clamps.  If you look close at some of the clamps at the heat exchanger you'll see they are a different style that I got from  CB.  Those are awesome!!!  The regular ones are there because I "borrowed" some of the "good" ones for some new connections out in my greenhouse where I can't keep a good eye on them and I didn't want to worry about them.  Now I have my own crimp tool so I'll get those hose clamps replaced at some point, faster if it becomes a problem.  *wink*
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

netwerx-r-us

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 400HE
    • View Profile
    • Netwerx-R-Us
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 08:39:59 AM »

Morning , newbie and green but just  sharing what I did and what worked for me,  doesn't mean its right , I asked the same question regarding my greenhouse and pretty much all the same people answered as did in your post ,. all excellent advice 

I used a 22 x 22 heat exchanger ,
 this fan from amazon ,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010041GS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
 and this thermostat, 120 volt
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7NYY8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I didn't go the 3 way valve as this is in a greenhouse and any heat that escapes goes into the greenhouse anyway , I figured keep it simple and I could add it later if need be , basically my pump runs 24 x7 and when it calls for heat the fan kicks on , when its not on the coil is warm and yes you lose some heat into the room but very little  , I don't feel as its wasted ,

I framed a wooden frame , mounted the fan behind it , set it on hi , then I cut the power cord extended it and located it on the other side of greenhouse plugged into an outlet ,

my greenhouse is 30 x 48 x 14 ft tall in the center , only 2 layers of 6 mil plastic, this is heating it all evenly and consistently , I have it set for 55 degrees and it stays with 3-4 degrees even if it drops outside as it did night before last to 19 degrees all night  , I couldn't be more pleased with the way it working, its even , i don't have all the moisture from rapid temp changes , plants and cage  birds are all doing well, I dont have to come out and load the rural king furnace at every 4 hours @ 2 oclock in the morning anymore   

I can get some pics later today if you want some , like i said , its simple and it works , I can modify and change it later  if need be , 3 way valves aren't cheap, try it without and you can add it later ,
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:45:04 AM by netwerx-r-us »
Netwerx-R-Us
http://netwerx-r-us.com
Kubota 3430 W loader and backhoe
Echo 440
Honda Rancher 400
Kubota ZD326