Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spray Insulation  (Read 7342 times)

TheCrier

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Spray Insulation
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 08:59:12 PM »

Deer around here are like rats. This is what was in my back yard this morning.... snapped this pic from my bedroom window buck nekid..... ^-^

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 09:03:52 PM »

Hey Willie, investigate soy based insul spray. Soy veggie oil mixed with some kind of plastic chemical concoction. Very minimal flex but in my opinion no need to wrap it in anything else, although I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

Last night we got 3" of heavy snow and I ran straight out to my freshly buried lines, then straight to my gauges.

A .3 diiffernce in temperature from my boiler to the heat exchanger at my furnace.

it's good to hear you are having great results with your pipes . I had good luck with mine 11 years ago but they have deteriated  over the years and i will be replacing them this fall yet (i think) i am leaning toward the 6 inch tile witht two lines surrounded by foam..then i am gonna pu t that down another 8 inch non perfed tile. (i'm thinking here that not only will the second tile protect it more but the insulated line can now "move" a little if expansion and contraction with the heat makes it "grow" also  i am thinking "dead air" around the lines has got to be better than damp soil and heat loss should  be very minimul.

there is a farm show near me next week i am hoping to score a better deal on pipe there. there should be about 6 dealers at that show, i may be able to work them a bit and save a few dollars
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »

haha i figured you had moose after I looked up your location on google.  there are some huge huge white tail in your province though!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »

Hey Willie, investigate soy based insul spray. Soy veggie oil mixed with some kind of plastic chemical concoction. Very minimal flex but in my opinion no need to wrap it in anything else, although I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

Last night we got 3" of heavy snow and I ran straight out to my freshly buried lines, then straight to my gauges.

A .3 diiffernce in temperature from my boiler to the heat exchanger at my furnace.

it's good to hear you are having great results with your pipes . I had good luck with mine 11 years ago but they have deteriated  over the years and i will be replacing them this fall yet (i think) i am leaning toward the 6 inch tile witht two lines surrounded by foam..then i am gonna pu t that down another 8 inch non perfed tile. (i'm thinking here that not only will the second tile protect it more but the insulated line can now "move" a little if expansion and contraction with the heat makes it "grow" also  i am thinking "dead air" around the lines has got to be better than damp soil and heat loss should  be very minimul.

there is a farm show near me next week i am hoping to score a better deal on pipe there. there should be about 6 dealers at that show, i may be able to work them a bit and save a few dollars

wille, go to www.urecon.com

check out that pipe, it would do what you need without more pipe
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

TheCrier

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »

Thats why i wrapped my 1.5 inch pex with the 1/2 inch foam insulation first.....to allow for the small amount of expansion that is expected...... and for the possibility that the chemicals in the "green" foam would protect the pex from some sort of deterioration.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 05:12:04 AM »

thanks for the link scott
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 06:02:16 AM »

thanks for the link scott

click on flexible systems or something..  They have test that pipe and at like 10 gallons a minute it can leave at 180 and reach an exchanger 150ft away at 179.5.  The piping and vapor barrier qualities are nice
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

m21221

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 04:48:56 AM »

Interesting discussion, I would question whether or not to put the plastic sheeting under your pipes.  Seems like water would pool there instead of draining away.  Maybe a bed of gravel instead?  Just a thought.
CB 6048

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 06:10:32 PM »

Willie, is that boat foam a pourable expanding foam or a spray foam?  I've seen the pourable closed cell foam get a little wet eventually, but it stays buoyant for many years submerged in water, which means it's not completely water logged.  Remember, this stuff is usually submerged in water 24/7 for several years.  Not even waterproof boat hulls can handle that without a little TLC every now and then.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 06:15:45 PM »

it was from a boat palce but it is sprayed closed cell. from what i read jsut about everywhere they say it should last and it takes water on a bit becasue no closed cell foam is 100 percent closed...some cells burst when curing they say 3 to 4 percent could be open cell from this. They also say this smallamount should not effect the performance of the insulation

I guess each person has to decide for themselves. I am pretty sure i will go with it but like i said i will also run it inside another non perffed tile so i have 'dead air' around it instead of moist earth
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 06:53:22 PM »

Likewise, that was my original idea as well, except I was going to use 3" electrical PVC conduit because it's a little cheaper than 4" drain tile.  But, as someone on another forum quickly pointed out to me, the dead air around the PEX before you get to the insulation is something you have to heat and keep warm between the boiler and the house (i.e. HEAT LOSS).  The goal is to move the heat as quickly as possible from the boiler to the house with as little loss as possible.  I don't really think that the airspace inside of the drain tile would be a considerable heat loss, personally.  But, it is something else you have to keep warm even if it's inside of the insulation. 

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »

i would buy the dual lines allready inside the closed cell insulation and that is allready inside the 4 inch plastic tile then run this down another 6 inch tile (this is where the dead air would be) and i think there would be much less chance of moisture getting into the  insulation inside the other tile and with this dead air around the insulated tile instead of moist earth..i think less heat loss?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: 1 [2]