Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Indoor Wood Boiler- outside?  (Read 3412 times)

ChrHerrman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Indoor Wood Boiler- outside?
« on: September 26, 2010, 07:39:57 AM »

I have been thinking about buying an OWB for next season but need to budget for one unitl then. I have access to free wood and enjoy cutting, so I don't have a problem working for my heat. I was looking at a Heatmor 200, but it would be about $7600. Any other brands you would suggest?

Also, my main question is why couldn't I put an indoor wood boiler outside and build a shed around it to heat my home? Here's why I ask. My friend got an indoor wood boiler from a local and reliable amish company (DS Stoves) here in SE PA. He heats a 300 year old stone house (like ours) with hot water radiators and the stove only cost $3000. The stove keeps his house toasty with automatic air control. My question is why couldn't I buy one of these stoves and for a couple hundred bucks build an insulated shed around it out of tin, so it would look just like an OWB? I could have the same boiler in an insulated, weatherproof shelter for half the cost. Why couldn't this work and what are your thoughts? Thanks for the input.

Larson88

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor Wood Boiler- outside?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 07:58:14 AM »

When i built my house in 2008 i wanted an owb but couldnt afford one at the time so i came across a indoor unit for free, it was hexagon style firebox with a water jacket sitting on top, I built a 4x4 insulated dog house over it and  actually worked pretty good i filled it morning and night. But since then i did some researching and built my own "real" OWB for 1500 bucks way nicer! If you aint going to have to much into it i would do it, the only thing is you might be filling it a few times a day depending on the size of the unit.

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
Re: Indoor Wood Boiler- outside?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:40:33 PM »

Have you looked at the Shaver 165 . Heats up to 4,000 sq ft. and is priced right.  3,277 after the 1500 tax credit  if bought by the end of the year. If you want more info just give me a ring.  Russ
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455