Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Replaced unit  (Read 6181 times)

dumbodog00

• View Profile
Replaced unit
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »

This fall I had to get my H2 replaced...for the most part.  It was installed 2/06 and beginning the following year, I had a water loss problem.  It ended up leaking about 5 gallons a week.  I am not sure why.  Only once in that time did I boil the water, and I caught that right after it started to boil.  The water that I continually added was city water.  Apparently it had some salt in it and caused me to have some nasty corrosion.  According to my dealer, municipalies are allowed to have a certain amount of salt in the water.
   Long story short, Hardy replaced the boiler portion under warranty and reinstalled all the old components back onto the esentially new unit.  I wish it were all new, but I guess it is better than nothing.  The thing I didn't like was that they charged labor to reinstall everything and to ship the unit.  They also replaced the insulation ($100) and aquastate ($50) which I was not expecting.  They could have at least sent the old insulation back.  I could have used it for something around here. 
   Hopefully this "new" stove will last for many years to come.  I am now filling with only rain water.  I have not had any water loss in the month I have had it back.

R W Ohio

• View Profile
Re: Replaced unit
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 05:23:36 PM »

So, what was the total out of pocket cost to you for these warranty repairs?
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 07:42:43 PM »

It was right about $645 with shipping and the replacement items.  They were supposed to call and say what they were going to do and how much, but they didn't.  I can say though, I had it back in about two weeks.
  I need to dig out my copy of the warranty and read the fine print about it.  I do know I was on the hook for shipping, but thought other things would be covered with it.

Dennis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:39:51 PM »

I have had the same problem as the Dumbodog00, I bought my new H2 Hardy in 2005 and starting experiencing water loss the last 3 yrs, can't even imagine the gollons of water that I have had to add in thoughs 3 yrs.  About every 3 days I add about 1.5 gallons of water, my dealer has tried several things, he thought  maybe it was a faulty low water light and replace it, also replaced the low water switch and has replaced the door seals, he finally checked the water to find out that it was higher then normal salt levels, I have noticed the damage from the salt, the back of the unit where the well unit attaches to the tank you can see the corrosion around the nut and looking into the tank you can see corrosion and rusted away metal parts, the metal bracket that holds the low water switch is almost completely rusted a part and the aqua stat is very rusty, the insulation is ruined around this area as well.I finally decided to call Hardy corp. directly and talk to a technician and he said the boiler will need to be replaced and my warranty will cover  the boiler, he did not mention labor but I would hope the dealer can give me a big break. The unit is heating my house and water ok and my dealer suggested I complete this year s heating season and replace it in the spring.  I knew something was definately wrong but had no idea it was caused by the water and the salt levels - crazy :bash: