Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hardy H2 water leak?  (Read 16623 times)

jbstu

• View Profile
Hardy H2 water leak?
« on: December 29, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »

Brand Spanking New Here!!!

I recently became the caretaker of a house equipped with a 99' H2 heater.  Recently, I have been having trouble with water getting to hot and boiling.  I cleaned all ash from air vent and it seemed to work for about two weeks.  My most recent problem has been water dripping around the edges of the cover and near the bottom of the ash door while the blower is running continuously and water temps around 100 deg. F.  I am thinking bad aquistat and hoping its anything but a leak.

Any ideas on what may be going on are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jbstu

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Hardy H2 water leak?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »

Well, your aquastat is telling your fan to come on.  So I think you should be having trouble keeping it cool if your fan is running all the time, but it seems you can't get it up to temperature.  Water around door seals and such can often be attributed to creosote drips from unseasoned hardwood.  That may be your problem, may not be. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:37:43 PM »

if you are burning real green wood (fresh cut) you may be using more than half the available  btu's to boil off the water in the wood and that is causing both the dripping and not being able to get to the shut off point of the blower

you have a plugged chimney (or some part of the travle system of your stove) that is not letting the blower feed the fire the required oxygen it needs to raise the boiler to the shut off setting

or your blower is wore out and not pushing enough air

or your blower passage is plugged

or...heaven forbid, you have a water leak and your water level is so low that your aquastat is no longer submerged and does not realize the temp of the water (but that would make for very very hot water at the house unless the water level was so low or boiling so hard the pump could not move it and it would cavitate to the point of catastrofic failure)

those are about all teh reasons i can phathom for your problem. good luck in searching what one it may be

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 08:00:56 PM »

i doubt it's the green wood issue willie.   in my neck of the woods there are a lot of hardy's.  most of them will argue you to their blue in the face that green wood is best.  I've heard numerous of them say if you want the best you'll cut next weeks wood today lol   that fan on them is so big it will literally blow a plume of smoke 25ft straight up and it will look like a big steam engine
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »

burning green wood is like driving the family sedan witht he choke on...it will get your  there but the fuel bill will be enormous!

wood may well be free but it still aint cheap
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »

I've preached that to my customers til I'm blue in the face.  Very few listen lol

seasoned oak in my stove will often go 24 hours, green will go 12-14
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697