Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pex Pipe  (Read 3753 times)

Vincent Paul

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
  • Whatever you are - be a good one.
    • View Profile
Pex Pipe
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:47:29 AM »

For the guys who check out the Tennessee OWB site, I am curious on what type and manufacturer of Pex Pipe did you use.  I am getting ready to purchase pipe in the next few weeks and just like all of the OWB's out there, there seems to be a lot of options and price ranges on pipe.  As always, SLIMJIM's comments are welcome.  He's the most knowledgeable person I've come across.  Thanks in advance.
Stihl 025
Stihl 261
Stihl 361
New Holland TN 75A
Ford F-250 -- V-10
Red Angus cattle & a bunch of chickens

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Pex Pipe
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 04:00:36 PM »

WOW Thanks for the vote of confidence, All I'm going to say on the pipe is that if you cheap out and you have a problem, it's going to be that much more expensive to replace it, if you truly must save money on your install Please make it the boiler! A cheap boiler can almost always get you by until you can afford to upgrade, cheap pipe may very well sour you to the whole concept of burning wood in an OWB, If Rory or Brian can't sell you a boiler this year then perhaps in 4-5 years and that will still be OK by me
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 06:32:48 AM »

Vincent Paul -> I am running Uponor pipes, through out my entire install; from OWB to house, and then in slab and mechanical room.  I kind of did not have a choice when I installed, because I have a family member that works there, so I probably would have been disowned if I would have choosen a different brand. Also did not hurt to get Friends & Family discount :-X

..but I do agree with slimjim; if you are going to be burying something, don't go cheap, but then again you probably only have so many dollars to spend.  Is it easier to install it once (right) or to go back and try to fix a problem years later.

Vincent Paul

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
  • Whatever you are - be a good one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:21:19 AM »

I am looking at either Thermo-Pex or Logstor.  Both appear to be fine products.  We visited with CountryBoyJohn this past weekend, a fine young man who answered many questions.  Kudos to him for making time for my wife and I.
Stihl 025
Stihl 261
Stihl 361
New Holland TN 75A
Ford F-250 -- V-10
Red Angus cattle & a bunch of chickens

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »

Thanks Mr. Vincent Paul!   ;D  It was nice to meet you too!  Good luck with you install and you know where to go with any questions!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN