Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: my review of ridge wood  (Read 7892 times)

njohnson

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
my review of ridge wood
« on: January 16, 2016, 07:34:46 AM »

I bought a ridgewood 6000 last February it would great last year. This year I added another loop going to my garage.  My house is 1200 sf and I have a side arm on my hot water heater that's on one loop. My other loop has my 400 sf garage. After adding my garage, I had some problems and talked to Tim Ridgewood. At first he was nice but not really all that helpful. Now I have bigger problems and he will not return my calls so I got in contact with a dealer and they were very helpful and called Tim.  Tim told him he was done talking to me.  He could not make me happy.  Well let me tell you some thing... this year my stove has been a pain in my a$$.  I can't get it to work for crap, takes 4 hour to recover, and eats wood like mad, then the next day it will work great.  I don't know what is wrong with it but I sure would like to get to the bottom of it. So Tim will not talk to me and has done nothing for me.  My stove was delivered with 2 dents in it.  One on the left and one in the back.  Tim told me he was getting me new tin for it.  Guess what?  It's been a year.  Since last summer, I noticed the bracket for the solenoid was cracking along the door.  Tim told me if it got worse to let him know. He would take care of it. Well guess what?  I talked to him about it and he was an a$$ about it.  I still have the same door and around the door frame, I'm starting to get a gap around 1/4".  I talked to Tim. I felt like it should be welded before it pulled away more and cracked.  He was nice and asked me to send him pictures. I did and that was the last time I talked to him. Bottom burnt up a door solenoid and he will not return my calls.  So I google ridgewood stoves. Reviews are bad.  Craig no longer works for ridgewood and I have a feeling when craig left, so did the customer service and warranty.  I hope if you own one you have better luck than I have dealing with ridgewood.  Now that being said, when I bought my ridgewood knowing they were a small company. The crap down because of epa laws.  I know I could have fixed the stove myself if there was a problem. So I don't know if I said it or not but Tim told the dealer he could not make me happy.  I offered to weld the door frame free of charge if he was ok with it and it would not void warranty.  I did ask for a new door. Its not a hard thing to change and it's cracking and geting worse. Cracked welds are a defect.  The stove has a warranty on defects.  I got nothing from Tim. He did nothing to make me happy.  I just want my stove to work. He did tell the dealer if I brought my stove to his shop, he would give me my money back.  Every time I call to talk to him, he will not return my calls. I'm not gonna drive 6hrs for him to be bluffing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:33:38 AM by Sloppy_Snood »

U.P. Doug

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
  • Rudyard, Michigan Upper Penninsula
    • View Profile
Re: my review of ridge wood
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:40:35 AM »

Sorry to hear about your problems with your stove. I remember reading in your earlier posts that you bought the fan option with your stove and you added a 5 ft stack extension. Have you ever checked the temp coming out of your stack when you are burning hot trying to recover? I fabricated a fan for my stove last year because I ran out of dry wood and needed extra air to burn the wet stuff. I bought a fan off EBay that is 60 Cfm max. and it has a cover to adjust it lower. I was running it with the cover only open 1/4 of the max allowed, or approx. 15 Cfm which was enough to burn the wet wood, but not blow all the heat out of the chimney. I am getting 12hr plus burn times now at 13 degree days and colder nights. I also learned not to stack the wood box full to the door as I had a lot of heat on the door. I rake the coals to the front, stack rounds 2 to 3 layers high in the back, then splits in the middle toward the front with rounds on top of that, not stuffing every piece of wood I can fit in it has worked well for me. I come out in the morning to coals in the front and the rounds in the back burning with a very hot blue flame. I do not have any stack extensions on my stove, and have it set at 167 on and off at 182. I don't sweat the recovery times as I am warm in my house, my garage is warm and I have endless hot water. As far as the welding goes, I would weld it myself and be done with it. Sorry to hear about Chris leaving he was great to deal with when I purchased my stove.

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »

njohnson - for the benefit of your stove problem and the benefit of the forum, I modified your post for punctuation and complete sentences so forum members could understand your thoughts and concerns.  Please review your original post and make sure your post's content remains the same.  Thank you.  -Slopster
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

braveblaster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »

Knock on wood as I've purchased mine last summer and this is the first winter of use; thus far no problems and strong support from Tim on every call or text messages. Best wishes to you and hope it'll all work out.

intensedrive

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 01:09:41 PM »

I thought Craig owned ridgewood, did he move on to a different company?

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 01:57:19 PM »

njohnson - for the benefit of your stove problem and the benefit of the forum, I modified your post for punctuation and complete sentences so forum members could understand your thoughts and concerns.  Please review your original post and make sure your post's content remains the same.  Thank you.  -Slopster

Thank god because even after its still hard to make sense of it.

I'm glad I sold mine. Used it for one season. Had it set 175-195. It did really well keeping up with my demand. However, that thing ate solenoids and after going back and forth with RidgeWood I could not get it right. They spoke of an actuator they were working on for the draft door to eliminate the solenoid but that was all I heard. I just couldn't spend another dark, cold night changing a solenoid...................... 
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 04:50:16 PM »

That sucks....sorry to hear this. Sounds like horrible customer service....I have NEVER had a problem with heatmor....they have replaced a high limit aquastat (had it over might shipped) and have been willing to answer all my questions. Customer.support is huge, hope u get it figured out

Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 04:53:49 AM »

I'm on my 3rd season with my Ridgewood 6000, and so far no issues at all. If Craig is no longer the owner, that could be a huge blow
to the company, he was nothing short of professional. I guess time will tell.
Dolmar 035
Stihl 026
Stihl 260
Speeco 25 ton splitter
John Deere 4720
Polaris Ranger 800

Middle of the mitten, Michigan

njohnson

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 08:19:43 AM »

sorry for the ramblings I was so mad when I typed that. that it makes no sense I have not had time to back and fix it I'm starting to feel like the guy on that you tube video I work a full time job as most and I shouldn't have to be at work worrying if that thing is going to work to day or not

braveblaster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 12:00:32 PM »

sorry for the ramblings I was so mad when I typed that. that it makes no sense I have not had time to back and fix it I'm starting to feel like the guy on that you tube video I work a full time job as most and I shouldn't have to be at work worrying if that thing is going to work to day or not

NJ,

Any resolution/follow up with Ridgewood?

njohnson

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 11:00:39 AM »

NJ,

Any resolution/follow up with Ridgewood?

No I have tryed calling and texting tim with ridgewood he will not talk to me I went ahead and welded my door frame because it kept geting worse my stove is working much better now 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:15:13 AM by mlappin »

Chicken farmer

• OWF Model: 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 03:29:55 PM »

I have burned up one solenoid this year also. I went through a bunch of them last year. I always had awesome customer service from them. However, this year, I talked to Tim, and he made no effort to offer another solenoid. So, I bought a couple from Grainger. I will be changing the control circuit to have a weather tight micro switch on the damper door. If this switch doesn't get made (for open), the solenoid will turn off, it will repeat the cycle 5 times and then give an alarm on the control panel inside the house.
30 yrs burning wood - new to the boiler scene
Midwestern Ohio

right2bear

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 06:21:01 PM »

I have gone through many, many, many solenoids between last season and the beginning of this year. Craig is what sold me on my stove, he left, and so did any respectable, or professional customer service. Tim is a complete ass hat, and deserves another prison sentence... He has done nothing but act like a dick to me, and tell me how I'm the only one that has ever had the solenoid problem. I asked him why the design change then? LOL, He actually told me to go F**k myself and hung up on me. The guy is unstable.

njohnson

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »

Tim is rude and places all the blame on the customer I had a feeling they were going to go out of business the way he acted I talked to some on at ridge wood to day and asked what was going to happen. With warranty he told me to keep sending samples in and that they were still going to be around for parts and service they were just geting out of the stove Business so I asked about the cracking on my door he asked me to send pictures I told him tim had them and will not return my calls and my door frame was cracked and I had to have it welded and ate that bill and it's the least they could do he told me tim was the boss and he would have him call me then I asked agin so I need to keep sending water samples and if I have a problem you guys will stand be hind the stoves he said I'm not answering that. this is not the first name tim sold stoves under he sold stoves under timber ridge stove name and didn't back them and my guess is there will be a new name coming wish I would have done more research be for buying  :bash:

intensedrive

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »

In the end we all knew Ridgewood was a new company when buying.  The curve ball was the new EPA Regulations, once I heard that I knew the company would not make it.  If you take care of your stove aside from manufacturer defects it should last you at least 10 years.  Yes you are going to have to replace parts and what not.  The solenoid problem is a mystery, some stove owners are replacing them like crazy others are not having any problems.   It could be some are getting lucky on the solenoid purchase and the manufacturer is producing lemons, or some weird electrical problem in the design of the stove, or how its even wired.  All you can do now is keep up with water treatment, clean the stove right during the off season.  I believe Craig built them to last, it was all the small crap that hurt them, like replacing solenoids like crazy under warranty and Aqua stats going bad.  Last summer I did a over haul and caulked everything to prevent moisture especially to my Aqua stat that did go bad last year, too must moisture. If you remember I had Fuck@#@ paint in my stove water two years ago and Craig replaced my boiler no questions asked.  It all adds up to the small stuff that killed them, lack of quality control.  Lets just all hope the welds are top notch, but looking back with everything else we might all be in a world of hurt several seasons down the road. How a company reusing Propane tanks could not clean up the paint on the exterior of the propane tank proves from the start crap was headed in a bad direction fast.  Also points out Craig knew his market and cheaper stoves were in high demand.  I have heard many reports, but these stoves were moving fast and serving the local community well.  I would bet many of the problems were due to such a high demand quality control lacked as he was moving these stoves so fast...Obviously with so much demand he did lack one business flaw, kept producing the stoves to prevent delays, went for the fast dollar.  This shows narcissistic character not to even think about how this will effect  the future.   Many business owners I myself have experienced this same problem, slow down production, yes hurting the bottom dollar or keep producing at such a rate knowing quality is at risk.  The answer is slow down and correct the mistakes instead of a fast tract pattern which will ruin your company.  Take the long road and picture, you will win that way.
Pages: [1] 2