Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: power outages  (Read 6008 times)

bagpiper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
power outages
« on: October 29, 2011, 06:17:01 PM »

I am sitting here writing this on oct. 29th and already have 6 inches of snow with another 6 " or more over nite. What! Leave ladden trees are cracking with the weight of the snow. This is New England. The possibility of a power outage is good with the lights flickering now. My question to all is if I lose my juice and my pump to the house stops circulating the water, what is the best course of action. Will the water temp. rise because it is just sitting not circ.( similar to a pot on the stove) or will everything cool as the draft fan won't come on either. Woodmaster say's never turn off the circulator pump. But. Since I won't get and answer tonight I am going to load it up half full with wood and let the oil back-up do the rest if I still have power. If I don't have power hopefully I won't have a melt down. Also,please don't tell me to get a generator. I'm working on that. Has anyone else had this happen to them. Thanks Bagpiper. In regards to my smart baffle being disconnected. Toward the upper front of the stove is an opening where you can get the baffle plate out once you get over the stop plate. Once I got it out I drilled and put in a new stainless steel nut and bolt connecting the rod and plate. I had to get half way in. to connect it once the rod was thru the front of the stove but it works better than before it broke.

PhinPhan

• OWF Brand: WoodMaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnace Info
Re: power outages
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »

Before I got my generator I had the power go out for about 12 hours and my water steamed out, I had to add back in a few gallons of water.  The water temp will rise, I just left everything as it was, didn't open the door or anything to keep the fire from kicking up.
Pomeroy, OH
WoodMaster 4400

Ridgekid

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:59:43 AM »

I have a honda EU2000. It's enough to keep the OWB running but it's only 120 VAC. I plug it right in at the spare receptacle at the OWB.  Thinking of a bigger genny to operate the 220 VAC, so I can operate the furnace fan.

My thought is, since the dryer is 220 VAC and close to an outside wall, just run a covered receptacle outdoors. This way I have easy access to provide power.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure you kill the main breaker before tying in any outside electric source! You don't want it hooked up when the power comes back on. A auto switch would probably be preferred. If you don't your trying to back feed the whole grid, not just your home.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 03:37:26 PM »

[IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure you kill the main breaker before tying in any outside electric source! You don't want it hooked up when the power comes back on. A auto switch would probably be preferred. If you don't your trying to back feed the whole grid, not just your home.
[/quote] and maybe a linesman who thinks he is about to grab a "dead" wire

i know a few folks who hook their generator up to a jury rigged cord to their dryer plug and backfeed their home. where i live (ontario canada) this is not legal for the very reasons stated above and i doubt it is legal anywhere.

remember if you do something like this and  someone is injured, your ass will likely find itself landed in some sort of trouble such as involantary mansloughter...or worse
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

bagpiper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »

Well I found out what happens when you lose power with regards to owf"s. That night I lost the power and the next morning I went out to check on it. Since I had no electricity I didn't know the temp. It was smoldering tho so I left it alone to see what it would do. After about 20 hours I could hear the water bubbling so I pulled out all the wood inside which stopped the bubbling. It does act as a pot on the stove. I just got the power back after 6 days. UNREAL!

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 05:54:18 PM »

i would say if your stove heats up to boiling after 20 hours of no electicity, you have a preset damper open too far or too many air leaks that allow the stove to suck combustion fuel in.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada