Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Shaver 250 Install  (Read 8037 times)

INwood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
New Shaver 250 Install
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:20:36 PM »

I just completed my installation of my new Shaver 250 and it was pretty easy. The plumbing is a piece of cake using the Shark Bite fittings. I wired an on/ off switch for the fan. I have my pump running 24/7 since I am 150 feet from my house. The only trouble I had was wiring a second thermostat in the house. Heat and cooling guy had to wire a switch to my existing propane/AC unit so I can run just the fan on my existing furnace. I do have a lot of moisture when I open the door of the stove.Anyone have any thoughts.
I have 5 friends that have OWB's and all of them have told me the same thing. It will take you a winter to figure out your stove and I have been running mine for a week now and I believe it true. After reading many of the posts on this site I think some of you like myself are figuring it out as we go.
As for the negative posts about Shaver. You get what you pay for! If you thought that shaver would perform the same as a Central Boiler with a couple thousand dollar difference? Most of the fixes for this brand are minor and I would trade that cost difference any day. With no standard regulations on these stoves they all probably have there owns corks. All and all good product for the money. Probably will install a better thermostat on boiler. Thanks for the tips.

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
Re: New Shaver 250 Install
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:47:49 PM »

Glad to hear your install went well. I had the same problem with the thermostat. I just shut off the 220v breaker for the a/c . I guess i should have used a switch . As for the moisture , did you upgrade to the damper /solenoid mod ? If not you should consider that and the Ranco thermostat also.Should get rid of the moisture . Welcome to the board.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

INwood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:54:56 PM »

thanks for the info. Where did you mount your Ranco thermostat?

INwood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »

Could you fill me in on the solenoid / damper mod? Sorry

INwood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »

What is the best way to go about bing able to see my water level? I am not using the hot water coil in the back and have it completely sealed off. Could I tie in to the port for the hot water up to one of the holes in the plate?

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:15:28 PM »

my ranco is mounted on the top left wall (inside back door ). If you have the door open its on the side wall up top. I did this because i have alot  of pipes running everywhere. You can mount it anywhere so long as you have enough probe length. Some mount it right by the stock therm.

The flapper mod is just a solenoid mounted on a piece of flat steel . This is mounted on the stock blower . It opens a door when the blower kicks on and shuts off air when blower is off . Well worth the money. Most people do this mod. Theres info on it in the other threads. Let me know if you need more help with this.

Not sure what you mean about the water level. I know Shaver has raised the overflow pipe to come out of the top. Mine is older and drains out the side. I have a customer that uses a small stick with a mark on it to stick the water and  gauge it .

Give me a call if you want and I'll expain things a little better.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:58:39 AM »

The black watery stuff that runs out the firebox door will go away after a while. I have that issue every year when I first fire up.

Please read the thread in the Shaver forum titled  "Help! I hate my Shaver"

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=756.0

Read the whole thing.  In it, I have several mods I have done along with links on how and what I used.

The links explain things.

Congrats on the new Shaver!

With a few of these mods, you will transform the Shaver into a much better unit.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:02:59 AM by Windwalker7 »

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »

Also read this thread.

It'll show you a way to stop the steaming and be able to see the water level.

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=100.0

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »

I think the new stoves have the overflow at the top . Different from the old ones. That steam fix might not work on his.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

INwood

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »

Got steaming issue solved. Cut 1/4 plate and welded a channel for sealant out of 1/4 square stock. Drilled and tapped four tads to stove to secure the lid. Also drilled and tapped a hole in the top of the plate so I could run some clear hole to see my water level. Works great. A lot better than sealing the original plate.