Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Not burning good  (Read 3694 times)

mille705

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Not burning good
« on: November 29, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »

I am heating for the third year with my Woodmaster 4400.  I seem to be having problems getting a good burn.  The fire just seems to smolder and never really takes off.  I replaced the draft fan this summer.  I have never cleaned the chimney and i have 1 4 foot section on it. Also I seem to have a high build up of soot and crap on the walls.  The handle to pull to allow the smoke to be released pulls hard and does not seem to help.  Looking for any suggestions.  Thanks

Sawdust

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Not burning good
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 07:21:34 AM »

Sir, sounds as though you have quite a bit of creosote build up. Also what are your high and low temperature settings?  Are you burning wood that has most of the moisture dried out of it? I occasionally use creosote removing products in my 4400 to help. The type that is dry granules in a tube, just follow directions. Although your draft fan may be running, it could be partially blocked off- by soot and creosote, take the cover offhand inspect the bottom of the blower for this. While you have the cover off look at the draft control flapper- ( rubber flap ) that opens and closes. Turn your draft fan on and off while you have he cover off, to make sure the solenoid - the mechanisim that opens and closes the rubber flapper is working properly. Good luck.

yotehunter66

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »

You'll be able to hear the solenoid kicking in if it is working. Makes a pretty good thump. Make sure the spring hasn't come off that lifts the flap.
Husky 372xp 24"
Makita DCS520i 20"
Poulan 2300 18"
Macullough Eager Beaver 2.3 18"
Troybilt 27 ton log splitter

Chuck Diesel

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »

With your smoke bi-pass. Try pulling the rod all the out to clean the rod off and to get all the ash off your upper plate. If you are burning non seasoned wood your creosote levels will be through the roof or with what I found ( the hard way) is that over feeding it do to weather conditions.
Creosote removal: Burn cardboard. Let your water temp drop into the 130's and start burning cardboard. Then repeat. Also leave your smoke bi-pass open to burn off extra creosote built up.
I use a 2" round wire brush to clean the heat exchangers (square water tubes) off inside the stove. Ash is a insolater.
Just my 2 cents
Good Luck
Chuck D.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »

Sounds like to me you need to stick a chimney brush up your pipe..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire