Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WM Temperature setting differences  (Read 15755 times)

mille705

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
WM Temperature setting differences
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:02:46 AM »

I am in my second full season burning my wm 4400 and like most people, I wish i would have done it sooner.  I had a add-on in my basement and love the fact that the wood/mess is out of my house.  I live in mid michigan and have my temp on my stove set at 170 degrees.  I know that the fan kick on at 160 because of the factory settings.  Was wondering if anyone has changed theres to a larger difference so that the fan does not turn on as often.  Thanks

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: WM Temperature setting differences
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »

Go for it try a couple of different settings like 150 on and 170 off in milder weather and 160 on 180 off. You can go even lower in temp see how your house reacts and wood consumption goes, you can always put it back good luck.

pdboilermaker

• Training Wheels
  • www.princesspetitepoodles.com
    • View Profile
    • Princess Petite Poodles
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »

I dont know how to change the difference but I turn my temp down and save a lot of wood.  Typically I turn my high limit down to 150 or even 140, saves A LOT of wood
Woodmaster 4440, Sthil ms310, Jeep Wrangler to pull home the wood, Noritz tankless water heater, smart car

pdboilermaker

• Training Wheels
  • www.princesspetitepoodles.com
    • View Profile
    • Princess Petite Poodles
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »

I run at 140 - 150 until the dead of winter like mid Jan to mid Feb
Woodmaster 4440, Sthil ms310, Jeep Wrangler to pull home the wood, Noritz tankless water heater, smart car

steely01

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • Woodmaster 4400, Stihl MS 290, Chevy Silverado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 07:18:58 AM »

I am running 150 - 160. It is working well.  Using a lot less wood and on a day like today (sunny) will not probably have to add any wood until late tonight.  I usually turn mine up to the factory setting in mid to late December.  A lot depends on how cold the mornings are and how much sun we get through the day. 

Dirtslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »

I am in my second full season burning my wm 4400 and like most people, I wish i would have done it sooner.  I had a add-on in my basement and love the fact that the wood/mess is out of my house.  I live in mid michigan and have my temp on my stove set at 170 degrees.  I know that the fan kick on at 160 because of the factory settings.  Was wondering if anyone has changed theres to a larger difference so that the fan does not turn on as often.  Thanks

I have mine set to kick on at 155 and off at 170 seems to give more a more complete burn no build up in the firebox.
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

pintopaul

• OWF Brand: wood master
  • OWF Model: model 434
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »

i have an old model 434 what should the setting be? my water has gotten down to like 120 and fan still didnt kick on.

alan mather

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 02:53:32 PM »

i live in the same area, and this year i have set my stove to come on at 150, off at 160, it doesn't seem to make a diffrence to me, i may bump it up when it gets real cold out, but i did disconnect my hotwater heater, due to the excessive wood use when wife does laundry. With dhw unhooked, i may be able to make it through a winter with out fetching any more wood.

pintopaul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »

alan where do you live and how much wood do you go thru? thanks paul

alan mather

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:02 AM »

i live north of lansing, about 15 miles, near st. johns. last winter was my first full winter, and i went throught 6 rows about chest high, each row was about 30 foot long.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 12:09:10 PM »

Alan.  It sure seems like your using more wood than you should.  I don't think you'll see a big difference in wood usage if u turn the water off, if any! 

Good luck

How many sq ft u heating and what kinda line do u have
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Neal

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 06:02:20 AM »

have mine set at 160 low 170 high on the reccomendation of my dealer.  Sure seems to use a lot less wood and the temperature stay fine in the house. 
Stihl 038 AV super pro
Tractor mounted 3 point splitter,
1987 Steiner S-20 tractor, and many attachments

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »

Neal,
Did you get the auger installed and if so how did it work?
RW
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

coonsrich@yahoo.com

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: WoodDoctor
  • OWF Model: BP 8000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »

I have a wooddoctor for 4 years now.  The fire box just corroded through due to the following; 1.  I put a 10 foot uninsulated chimney on, 2. thermostat was set for 63 at night.  Dealer said chimney was ok 4 years ago but now recommends insulated ss chimney, also constant heat is best, when you lower the temps you build up more creosote.  With my tall uninsulated chimney the water in the wood (  20 % moisture equals 20 pounds of water for every 100 pounds of wood) would condense on the cold pipe and run down the chimney and make the ashes damp.  Wood is cheap compared to repairs of the boiler and chimney, so now I plan to set tempa at 72 degrees in house and 170-190 for furnace temp going to old oil boiler.  I do take the chimney off the oil boiler and turn it off and stuff chimneys with insulation.  This saves lots of heat because it is not lost up the oil burner chimney.  I have been heating with wood for 40 years now , just to pass it on.

pintopaul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 06:25:59 PM »

my wood master 434 is set at on 150 and off at 170 burns great i go thru a wheel barrow load in a 48 hour peroid and its been as low as -5 here once other than that lowest has been around 10 days around 30. love this thing wish i would have done this sooner.
Pages: [1] 2