Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: owb overheating?  (Read 16776 times)

pintopaul

• OWF Brand: wood master
  • OWF Model: model 434
    • View Profile
owb overheating?
« on: November 17, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »

can someone answer a question for me my outdoor wood boiler has been hooked for for 3 weeks but only fired for a couple days ,i'm having a problem with it getting to hot water over 200. its just smoldering its not like its a rapid burn its an older wood master 434 . the tempature here has been as low as 25 and as high as 48. thanks paul

jon d

• View Profile
Re: owb overheating?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:53:15 PM »

Sorry you're having problems.  First I would check to see if the stove is getting air(door seals), make sure all pumps are pumping and check water level. I would bet it's getting air.
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

pintopaul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »

i read another post some where that said to plug off the chimney to see if you see smoke coming from the door or any wheres, nothing showed near the door but i did notice a small trace by the pull handle for the damper and i mean its small less than someones cig. i opened it back up and opened the door with the damper closed and its just smoldering no flame jumping. i'm confused. pump is pumping i turned up the thermostat in the house its now 92 inside 39 outside.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »

If you are not seeing any steam it may be that your thermometer is wrong. Do you have any way to check the thermometer?
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 03:51:21 PM »

your stove should not be overheating if the outside temp is in the 30's for sure. the only way for your water to go over the set temp of your stove is ---- 1-if your aquastat is not working and your damper is staying open....2-your door seal or another seal is leaking allowing air to get to the fire after your set temp is reached..........3-your fire box has a crack  on a seam or some where ohter than the where it meets the water jacket?

another way is your set temp is too high for mild weather

for your water to over heat the fire has to be burning (even what you may think is smoldering) and creating more heat then you are using (or losing) and for that to happen the fire has to be drawing air from somewhere. i think you need to be more vigilant in your search

if you are one of the people who does not move water when your stove is idling (when none of your "appliances" are calling for heat) this may cause it also. usually there is a small amount of heat loss in yoru underground pipes and the pipes in your house. this "heat loss" will help keep your stove from overheating
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

pintopaul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 05:25:37 PM »

my pump runs 24/7 i know its boiling over 1 due to the steam and the fact i can hear it bubbling. gauge is working. now to the stat on the back of the furnace i did turn it to 150 like i was told on another listing on this site. fan on front of the furnace should only come on when the stat on the back calls for it right? i turned it back down to 100 where it was set. as far as cracks go i'd see either water in the fire box or smoke coming out from the metal on the sides right? i know this is an older model but it wasnt used much it should have plenty of life left.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 05:49:30 PM »

Have you checked to make sure the air shutoff is sealing properly and the solenoid is working? If it is rubber, check for cracks.

pintopaul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 06:20:30 PM »

air shut off??????????

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »

Bottom line is that there is air going into your firebox when it's not needed, if it was all working properly you could set it at 160 and it would only slightly spike over regardless of the outside temp
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

pintopaul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 06:32:52 PM »

so wheres the air shut off on the door? i know the blower is there and a flapper valve the valve does work but i never checked to see if it closes all the way...

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »

Somewhere, probably around the flap or door something is allowing air into the firebox, it has to seal perfectly, if you have a tiny gap anywhere thats enough to overheat a stove
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »

Covering the chimney while the fan is running probably will not work with a woodmaster because the fan is on the door. Like everyone else is saying, you are getting air into the stove when it should be shut off. Its either at the door seal or the fan.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »

Sounds like to me the fire is getting air somewhere.. or the pump isn't working...Im assuming the pump is working...Something isn't seating right
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

pintopaul

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 01:59:44 PM »

thanks all. i took the cover off the door to check the flapper and you guys are good .the flapper isnt closing aall the way the metal flapper doesnt close its about 1/4 of inch away from closing all the way the solenoid is working to open it but only closes half way when it reaches temp to shut off. now question does anyone know anything about the 434 wood master damper solenoid ? thanks paul      THIS SITE HAS REALY HELP A NEWBIE     THANKS ALL

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »

Is it the solenoid that won't go out all the way? I have seen them overheat and swell some.
Pages: [1] 2