Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 5 wrap pex melting snow  (Read 10771 times)

ecc_33

• View Profile
5 wrap pex melting snow
« on: January 28, 2015, 03:14:44 PM »

I have 5 wrap going to the  boiler and right were I spliced the 100 foot rolls together from there to the boiler the  snow is melting. Its barried 3 feet deep so I know im loosing heat like crazy. I have a good pic but this piece of sheet site won't let me post the pic? Im not loosing water in the boiler. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:48:07 PM by mlappin »

ecc_33

• View Profile
Re: 5 wrap logstor pex
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »

The only thing I can think of is that water is getting into the wrap at the splice and riding the pex down to the boiler. I hope my stuff isn't ruined.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: 5 wrap logstor pex
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 04:31:58 PM »

The only thing I can think of is that water is getting into the wrap at the splice and riding the pex down to the boiler. I hope my stuff isn't ruined.

if water is getting in the joint. I think it would be advisable to tell you to digit up as soon as possible to try and stop the water from migrating any further than it has. you (if you can) may be able to dig up the joint and dig around it without disturbing the pipe and reseal it with some sort of wrap and minimize the damage.

if water is getting in, it will migrate downhill and may actually  fill even uphill if the water pressure  is high enough (or you have no tile near by to take away the water)

good luck
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:48:37 PM by mlappin »
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ecc_33

• View Profile
Re: 5 wrap pex melting snow
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »

Yea That's what I thought too. Thanks. I did hit two field tiles right by the boiler but fixed them as I dug the trench. Im going to be very upset if I don't have logstor pex and was sold what I was thought to be logstor! The stuff I have is in a 4" field tile looking black pipe with foam looking blue wrap with a thin layer of alumn foil lightly around each wrap. Most areas of the wrap is 6 layers thick. It has a light plastic wrap around all of that and then inside the black pipe. It is inch pex.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:58:04 PM by ecc_33 »

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A2KK_dAIeMlUH4MBpG.bvZx4?p=logstor+pex+pics&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901&fp=1 Mine looks like this just with the two inch lines. Bottom line 3rd pic over. If I could post pics I WOULD POST A PIC OF WHAT I HAVE!!!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:03:53 PM by ecc_33 »

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »

I don't believe the words "wrap" and  "logstor"  belong in the same sentence?  But perhaps  there is such a thing? Some one else may have heard of it but I surely haven't
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »

Thanks Willie. I feel violated!

Belknap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 05:11:54 PM »

Definitely not Logster,
Gilford NH

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 05:15:29 PM »

Now I have smoke rolling out my ears as to know what I payed for this sheet! I hope I am wrong and the reputable dealer from this site that sold me all this stuff didn't in fact intentionally screw me.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »

perhaps it was sold to you at the right price and the word logstor was slipped out unintentionally?

I live in Ontario Canada and I just bought logstor for my sons application and it was 13.85 per foot i'm not sure what good wrapped products are going for?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 05:33:16 PM »

I sold it to you and never once told you it was logstor, you initially ordered around 100 ft of badger 5 wrap and then ordered another 100 feet, I didn't realize you were splicing it and around 8 bucks a foot is average pricing at the time for 5 wrap.  If you'd ordered logstor at that time it would have been 12.90/ft plus shipping

Logstor doesn't even make wrapped products, they only sell foam filled pipe

I'm not sure why you thought you were getting logstor but think you'd known the difference when you buried it??????? 

Evidently where you spliced it tho is leaking and allowing water into the pipe, where ever the splice is dig it up and see if u can address it or perhaps dig a hole under the splice and back fill with gravel so water doesn't Lay around the pipe and sinks on down

Sorry if I came of blunt but I've never sold a product as logstor that wasnt, I don't even see how the 2 could be confused
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

MerrellRoofing

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 05:59:51 PM »

Underground splice is not a good idea. It can be done but should be avoided.

Don't blame a good dealer for not knowing what your situation is. You put in an order, he ships it out.  If you asked him about splicing it, I'm sure he would have advised against it.

Sorry to hear it has happened.  Get your shovel warmed up.
Mid-Michigan
Husqvarna-51-261-372xpg-395xp
Dirty Hand Tools 27 ton 25" splitter
Bri-Mar 6x10 Highside dump trailer
Chevy Dually Dumpx2

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 06:12:31 PM »

Yahoo is blowing smoke, some of the pictures are of thermopex, the very last picture is definitely not Logstor.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »

you have a problem now and need to deal with it. I am sure splices can be done (although I agree they should be avoided if at all possible) You need to search out the very best splice kit that is available and then add some of your own insurance. (what ever you can come up with)

after ding the recommended splice (what ever that may be) I would try  some of that 4 inch wide "electrician" type tape or maybe some of that new rubber in a spray can..and perhaps when that was all done a good thick layer of grease and burlap
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »

I have a good pic but this piece of sheet site won't let me post the pic?

I find it ironic that you call this site a "piece of sheet" but you are asking its members for help?  Not too many sites out there with the sheer level/knowledge of outdoor wood-burning furnace professionals and seasoned operators we have here.  Try a more friendly approach my friend and you will receive more responses and information.

Also, if you desire to post pictures, use a remote picture-hosting website.  This has been stated 100s of times throughout the site.  Thanks.

LINKHOW TO POST Photos 101 (Click Here)

LINK: A "How To" for Posting Pictures from a Picture-Hosting Website (Click Here)

-Slopster
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:47:33 PM by Sloppy_Snood »
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD
Pages: [1] 2 3