Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 5 wrap pex melting snow  (Read 10778 times)

MerrellRoofing

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44
    • View Profile
Re: 5 wrap pex melting snow
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 06:47:05 PM »

Another problem will be getting the water out of the tile. You say it is running down towards your boiler. Assuming the pipe turns up to your boiler, that water is trapped in there. I suppose it may evaporate over time.
   You're gonna have to dig a pretty big hole to address your splice. Whatever you decide to fix it with, you will have to wrap all the way around the tile. We use some bad-ass sticky rubber for flat roofs called Flint-Tastic.  $100 for a roll.  If you were closer I would give you some.
Mid-Michigan
Husqvarna-51-261-372xpg-395xp
Dirty Hand Tools 27 ton 25" splitter
Bri-Mar 6x10 Highside dump trailer
Chevy Dually Dumpx2

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 06:50:02 PM »

If it was me, I would dig around the splice clean it, then spray it with high density foam.

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »

I sold it to you and never once told you it was logstor, you initially ordered around 100 ft of badger 5 wrap and then ordered another 100 feet, I didn't realize you were splicing it and around 8 bucks a foot is average pricing at the time for 5 wrap.  If you'd ordered logstor at that time it would have been 12.90/ft plus shipping

Logstor doesn't even make wrapped products, they only sell foam filled pipe

I'm not sure why you thought you were getting logstor but think you'd known the difference when you buried it??????? 

Evidently where you spliced it tho is leaking and allowing water into the pipe, where ever the splice is dig it up and see if u can address it or perhaps dig a hole under the splice and back fill with gravel so water doesn't Lay around the pipe and sinks on down

Sorry if I came of blunt but I've never sold a product as logstor that wasnt, I don't even see how the 2 could be confused
First off I want to apologize. For some reason I did think I purchased logstor and didn't. I have the 5 wrap you are talking about after looking at passed emails. Its been a long day and got even longer after I got home with some personal stuff. Anyways, sorry and yes, It is the 5 wrap. I am "retarded" when it comes to most boiler stuff and jumped to conclusions. I didn't know the difference. Was taking your word for it. It was the truth as always and apologize again.

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 07:18:06 PM »

I have a good pic but this piece of sheet site won't let me post the pic?

I find it ironic that you call this site a "piece of sheet" but you are asking its members for help?  Not too many sites out there with the sheer level/knowledge of outdoor wood-burning furnace professionals and seasoned operators we have here.  Try a more friendly approach my friend and you will receive more responses and information.

-Slopster
I didn't call the people on this site a piece. The site is crap. Plain and simple. Its not the members. I am a member on multiple sites and can post thousand of pics and no one at any time has to come along and delete/ clean up a site so someone can use the attachment option on the site. That's what I meant. I agree Its not to splice a line when using underground pex. At the point when I bought the first roll of pex I thought I would put the boiler close to the house. After changes and further changes for future plans I had to move it farther. Basement was poured around the pex and half the pex was in. I chose to splice and go. Live and learn. Im young and it happens. Sorry Scott again, I truly feel bad for that screw up.

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »

So lets get to the conclusion. I top off the boiler maybe once every two months and put maybe a couple gallons in. Before I tare the crap out of my yard everyone agrees that's were its leaking? I guess the only way to know for sure is dig it up and look. I hate to do this but don't have very many choices. I thought about waiting till spring and digging that whole section up and back filling with 57's just to help bring it up a little and leach. Now its got me wondering Scott if I used those stainless band clamps I got from that supplier by mistake. hmmmm. I might just get the back hoe out Saturday and go on a adventure.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:32:28 PM by ecc_33 »

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 07:33:47 PM »

I guess there is no sure way to tell where it is leaking...where it is melting the earth above the pipe is likely the lowest spot in the pipe. but an educated guess would say the likely hood of where the leak is would be the splice (unless a stone or something has worked it's way through the tile or it was damaged at installation   you splice it? if so you know what you did, now think long and hard and come to your own conclusion on whether or not the splice could have failed.  also when did you notice this melting..perhaps it was a mild day and if this is a low spot in the yard it may be the first spot to melt off a little?

Before you dig...be sure you have a problem
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 08:23:28 PM »

I have a good pic but this piece of sheet site won't let me post the pic?

I find it ironic that you call this site a "piece of sheet" but you are asking its members for help?  Not too many sites out there with the sheer level/knowledge of outdoor wood-burning furnace professionals and seasoned operators we have here.  Try a more friendly approach my friend and you will receive more responses and information.

-Slopster
I didn't call the people on this site a piece. The site is crap. Plain and simple. Its not the members. I am a member on multiple sites and can post thousand of pics and no one at any time has to come along and delete/ clean up a site so someone can use the attachment option on the site. That's what I meant. I agree Its not to splice a line when using underground pex. At the point when I bought the first roll of pex I thought I would put the boiler close to the house. After changes and further changes for future plans I had to move it farther. Basement was poured around the pex and half the pex was in. I chose to splice and go. Live and learn. Im young and it happens. Sorry Scott again, I truly feel bad for that screw up.

Dude.  It's a FREE site that is a valuable resource.  Don't insult it.  If it's crap to you, please, leave and don't return.  LOTS of others post pictures ALL THE TIME with no problems.  Just because you can't figure it out doesn't make the site bad.

If you'd been reading this site more, you'd have seen all the advice about how important the underground line is for heating with an OWB.  You would have realized you should have NEVER spliced something together as important as your underground line.  It's a mistake you made, and people are helping you with ideas on how to fix it, even though you ridicule this site.  That shows you the classy site members on this site.

This should be you for awhile ------------>   :bag:

Just my $0.02...
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 08:27:21 PM »

Let's not get carried away to far here..  first of all apology accepted

Now let's try to fix this

If the splice is the source of the leak only dig there to see if it's there...  if it is leaking there let's see what can he done.  I would see if the pipe is filled with water to the point it could be siphoned out, if it has then get as much out as possible. 
Where it's spliced I would try to make a dry zone around the joint, I would dig under it and fill with stone and fill with stone in a circle around and over the joint as then no water could stand around the joint and weasel in.  If you see where it's leaking, pm here and I'll send you out a seal I've recently acquired for such issues,it's a rubberized shrink wrap seal that you can put on with a heat gun.  Be very very careful tho, the melting point of the shrink wrap is not a lot cooler than that of the black tile but it can be done

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

MerrellRoofing

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 09:19:01 PM »

Don't run him off for having a bad day. It happens. This thread will be a good learning tool for everyone by the time the story is over.
   If your losing a gallon or 2 per month, it could be leaking from the clamps. Only 1 way to find out.
Mid-Michigan
Husqvarna-51-261-372xpg-395xp
Dirty Hand Tools 27 ton 25" splitter
Bri-Mar 6x10 Highside dump trailer
Chevy Dually Dumpx2

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 09:35:44 PM »

Don't run him off for having a bad day. It happens. This thread will be a good learning tool for everyone by the time the story is over.
   If your losing a gallon or 2 per month, it could be leaking from the clamps. Only 1 way to find out.

I just think it's ground water infiltrating his pipe

A gallon a month on that stove is normal
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 10:04:11 PM »

Wouldn't you have to take the pex lines apart to use the heat shrink?

If you do take them apart and use the heat shrink, take a piece of the corrugated and cut a slot on one side so you can pop it over the two pipes. It will hold them together much more solid. Then slide the heat shrink over that.

Fernco rubber couplers seems to work really well for splicing the corrugated pipe if you don't use the heat shrink. That would also require taking the pex apart.

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 12:04:57 AM »

I have splices on my wrapped pex but I made sure I ordered enough that comes from the stove and about 12ft into my basement. In my basement is where I have the splices. Im not sure if I missed it but what clamps/crimps did you use? I used cheap ones my first time around and never again. Leak after leak!
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 07:02:48 AM »

I guess I missed something here. I thought he had water infiltrating the tile at the splice of the tiles. Now it sounds like he is losing water from the system at a splice in the pex lines. Which is it?

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 07:47:03 AM »

Thank Scott and once again sorry. I have a photo bucket account and once time allows I will post pics. Ok so the snow is melting in the middle of my yard. From the middle of my yard to the boiler. The pex makes a L shaped jog all down hill torwards the boiler. Im with you Scott. The neighbors boiler boils off way more water than mine. If my memory services me correct, I used those stainless band clamps on the splices when I did it. I didn't bury the line for a few months so I new it wasn't leaking. I would have to split the lines anyways so I could put the right clamps on them. Scott remember you sent me that real expensive roll of black tape for my splice? Looked like electrical tape. I wonder if its got something to do with the splice in the pex line and water getting into that part of the tile from those field tiles leaching up the trench under ground? Either way im not loosing much so i'll wait till spring and dig up the splice. That way I can get my service truck down  to the boiler and draw a vacuum on the boiler water so I don't loose much. I'll be thankful of my little backhoe! I'll be sure to post what I find for future reference. I'll also pay close attention on how much water im putting in the boiler. More I think about it I think water is leaching into the open end of that tile and just riding the pex down to the  boiler.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 08:27:14 AM »

I do remember someone getting badgers splice repair stuff but I didn't remember it being you.  Have you noticed a big increase in wood use.
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: 1 [2] 3