Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: pump sizing & compression fitting source recommendations on updated OWB system  (Read 6186 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile

Im Scott lol

But I'm not sure why your ot getting heat, it's not making sense to me at this point
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI

It sounds like you may have flow issues on both the water and the air. I would try setting the pulleys to a faster speed. Maybe check the motor after running a while and see if it is getting much hotter than it does now.
Is there any chance there is a damper in the ductwork somewhere that got closed?

You mentioned the return goes through a small modine. Is that possibly restricting the flow of the whole system?
I would go over the whole system and list all fittings, lengths of pipe and anything else. Something has to be restricting it.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile

It sounds like you may have flow issues on both the water and the air. I would try setting the pulleys to a faster speed. Maybe check the motor after running a while and see if it is getting much hotter than it does now.
Is there any chance there is a damper in the ductwork somewhere that got closed?

You mentioned the return goes through a small modine. Is that possibly restricting the flow of the whole system?
I would go over the whole system and list all fittings, lengths of pipe and anything else. Something has to be restricting it.

Maybe the modine isn't made for water?  Could it be for steam and have really small plumbing?
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile

Put a site glass in your line and you will know if your water is moving.
installed in 2014

themaddhatter

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: homemade
    • View Profile

Thanks guys for the input.

RSI: I agree, that it is low water flow, low air flow, or a combo of the two.  I am swapping the pump out to the OWB as soon as I can find some pex-al-pex to NPT compression fittings.  I think this is most likely the problem, as the furnace itself will keep heat in the house.  I will double check the ducts for dampers, but to be honest, I can't remember ever seeing ANY in this system (wish there were though, as some rooms get much warmer than others).  I will see if I can scare up a smaller adjustable pulley: one with the largest diameter basically the same as the current one's smallest diameter (where it is set now).  That way, I can play with the adjustment.  If I am still having issues after the pump swap to the OWB & playing around with the blower pulley ratios, I will lay out all the connections/fittings/lengths/etc in a drawing.

Scott: The modine may not be for water (who knows with what the PO had done), but it isn't part of the current iteration, as I physically disconnected it last season while trying to diagnose my heat issue (right now, all I have on the system is OWB->PEX RUN -> PUMP -> COPPER - > EXCHANGER -> COPPER -> PEX RUN TO OWB & some fittings/ball valves/y-strainer/air vent).  I wanted to get my bearings on things before I go and muddy the waters further.  Also, could you let me know if you have 1" compression pex-al-pex to 1" male NPT fittings available?  I am going to do some more calling around today, but it has been odd that these aren't readily available here in North Central MN (I will be calling down to the cities today: an hour each way drive, but ISWIS).

Ijon: Good idea on a site glass.  Will take a look around & see what I can find (even a flow indicator from grainger or mcmaster would work).  I have used them before on some processing equipment, but I seem to remember that getting stuff which dealt with higher temps (200 F or so) were stupid expensive for what they were.  That was a few years ago though, and the mind isn't what it used to be).

Again, thanks everyone for the insight.  It is greatly appreciated.
Pages: 1 [2]