Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: splitting with excavator  (Read 3195 times)

rosewood

• View Profile
splitting with excavator
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »

finishing building thumb for my machine to make it easier to handle logs for mill and firewood .came up with this idea to build a splitter that i can use to split pine logs , 3-4' lenghts  and some hardwood,  since i have tons of non mill quality logs. its basically a 2' wedge on a i beam platform with rolled sides to center log when dropped in then crowd out the stick of machine pushing log thru wedge . it will have a 1'' wire rope that is shackled to transport hitch of machine to i beam preventing it from being pushed away. the weather is going to be in 50s on sat and sunday and i hope to finish. if it works well i will put some pics on site , if it doesn't  i will just be a nother hacker loser.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: splitting with excavator
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:02:49 PM »

. if it works well i will put some pics on site , if it doesn't  i will just be a nother hacker loser.
[/quote]
if it works well first time, we still make improvements. if it fails we call it "research and development" and we still make improvements
there is no loser in building something if you are doing it for yourself. when working for yourself it is a 'learning experience"
and believe me I have had many of them!

have at it and good luck!
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 10:53:41 AM »

rosewood, did it work??????
Newrichmond, Ohio

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »

well ....not as i thought..small pieces would split,but the big ones 24'' dia x 3' wouldn't.  looking for a 3-4 ' throw cylinder to add  and connect to old splitters hyd raulics. im thinking of remote control set ups  so i dont have to get out of machine.  to hot to think of wood!